Object suspended over an empty bucket

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of submerging an iron rod in a bucket of water on the reading of a scale. It is determined that the reading will increase due to the buoyant force of the water on the rod. The question is then raised about what would happen if the bucket was empty and filled with air instead. It is concluded that the scenarios are different because of the setup and a bucket filled with water would not result in a change in the scale reading.
Tlaloc86
I was recently tutoring a first year student, and a question of her assignment was as follows:

Suppose that that you have a bucket of water over a scale. If you then partially submerge an iron rod in the water, while holding the rod so that it does not touches the bucket, will the reading on the scale change? The answer is that yes, the reading n the scale will increase. One possible explanation of this is that the water exerts a buoyant up force over the rod, and therefore the rod will exert a force down over the water, and this force will be registered in the scale.

I was then thinking what would happen in the same scenario, but this time the bucket is empty. After all, air is also a fluid, so it also exert a buoyant force on the rod. Will this also register on the scale? Of course if it does the increase will much smaller than in the previous case since air has much less density than water, but I'm curious if the effect will be there at all. The reason I think there may not be any increase here is that in the previous case we had two phases: water and air, whereas in this case we only have one phase: air, so the two scenarios are not completely analogous. Or maybe the water is "resting" over the bucket, while the air is not...

Anyway, just a rather silly question I cannot wrap my head around :) Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tlaloc86 said:
The reason I think there may not be any increase here is that in the previous case we had two phases: water and air, whereas in this case we only have one phase: air, so the two scenarios are not completely analogous.
Right, the bucket is supporting the water, while it's not supporting the air. In fact, the air is supporting the bucket, if we want to consider the volume of the bucket walls.

Tlaloc86 said:
I was then thinking what would happen in the same scenario, but this time the bucket is empty. After all, air is also a fluid, so it also exert a buoyant force on the rod. Will this also register on the scale?
It's a trick question -- the scenarios are different because you set them up differently.

The bucket is half full of water. It is completely full of air. That makes all the difference. Try the thought experiment with a bucket that is completely full of water before you dip the iron rod in. Does the scale reading change now?

Likes Tlaloc86
Tlaloc86 said:
If you then partially submerge an iron rod in the water, while holding the rod so that it does not touches the bucket, will the reading on the scale change? The answer is that yes, the reading n the scale will increase.
In order to answer your second question, it helps to answer the first question a little more fully. So, for the first scenario you have correctly indicated that the reading will increase. How much will it increase? Assume the density of the water is ##\rho_0##, the density of the rod is ##\rho_1##, the volume of the water is ##V_0##, and the volume of the submerged portion of the rod is ##V_1##, the total mass of the rod is ##M## and the mass of the bucket is ##m##, and assume that the experiment is carried out in vacuum

jbriggs444 said:
It's a trick question -- the scenarios are different because you set them up differently.

The bucket is half full of water. It is completely full of air. That makes all the difference. Try the thought experiment with a bucket that is completely full of water before you dip the iron rod in. Does the scale reading change now?

Thank you, I think this solves it. If the bucket is full of water there is no change of the scale (You have a reaction to the buoyant force pointing down, but that same weight of water leaves the bucket when you introduce the rod, so no net change in the balance). Thanks!

Likes jbriggs444 and Dale

1. What is the purpose of an object suspended over an empty bucket?

The purpose of an object suspended over an empty bucket is to demonstrate the concept of equilibrium and how forces act on objects.

2. How does the object remain suspended over an empty bucket?

The object remains suspended over an empty bucket due to the forces of gravity and tension in the string or support holding it up.

3. Can any object be suspended over an empty bucket?

As long as the object is not too heavy and the string or support is strong enough to hold it, any object can be suspended over an empty bucket.

4. What factors affect the stability of the object suspended over an empty bucket?

The height of the object, the weight of the object, and the strength of the string or support all affect the stability of the object suspended over an empty bucket.

5. Why does the object fall into the bucket when the string or support is removed?

The object falls into the bucket when the string or support is removed because the force of gravity is greater than the tension force keeping it suspended. Without the support, there is no longer an upward force to balance out the downward force of gravity.