True/False -ish question, buoyancy

• Thread starter tg22542
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, for the first statement, the water level in the pool decreases when the cement block is thrown to the shore. For the second statement, the buoyant force on the helium-filled balloon is the same as the buoyant force on the air-filled balloon. For the third statement, the water level in the pool stays the same when the cement block is dropped into the water. For the fourth statement, the water level in the pail stays the same when the elevator accelerates upward. And for the last statement, the reading on the scale under the container with the duck is the same as the reading on the other scale.
tg22542

Homework Statement

For each statement, select the phrase that makes the statement true (e.g., if the answer to the first is A and to the others B, enter ABBBB):

A) increases B) decreases C) less than

D) greater than E) stays the same F) the same as

A boat containing a cement block floats in a swimming pool. The water level in the pool ______ when the cement block is thrown to the shore.

Two balloons of the same volume are filled with helium and air, respectively. The buoyant force on the helium-filled balloon is ______ the buoyant force on the air-filled balloon.

A boat containing a cement block floats in a swimming pool. The water level in the pool ______ when the cement block is dropped into the water.

A block of wood floats in a pail of water in a stationary elevator. The level of water in the pail ______ when the elevator accelerates upward.

Two identical shallow containers are placed on identical scales. A live duck is put in one container. Both containers are then filled with water to their brims; it is observed that the duck is standing on the bottom of its container. The reading on the scale under the container with the duck is ______ the reading on the other scale.

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess was AFBAA

I am guessing my error is somewhere in the last two.

- I figured when a bucket was in an elevator accelerating upwards, the gravatational force would be pushing down on the object in the water forcing the water level to raise

-For the last one, my assumption was that the combined volume of the duck and the water would make it heavier compared to the one without a duck.

Any help please? Are my first 3 correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your reason for your answer, try to explain it. That way you may also realize, if one is wrong. For instance your 2nd answer is correct, because the balloons are of same size, and the buoyant force is exerted by the air around the baloons on the balloons, thus it must be the same for equally sized balloons.

Now try to explain your first and third answer. I think you should realize then, that one of them doesn't make sense, if the other is correct.

Sorry for the late reply- hope you still see this;

reasoning for 1 - the overall buoyancy force on the boat pushing down is heavier with the cement block in it thus a higher water level. Once the cement is thrown off the boat, the weight decreases making the water level decrease. Just realized that it should have been decrease, not increase. Haha

For 3 - I am second guessing my choice on this one, because the cement was thrown into the water, I think it would then increase, so I think the water level may stay the same?

Yes, that seems more like it.

Hmm, so then are my last two correct?

The one with the elevator is bugging me a bit... however, I would think your answer is correct (at least I would say the same). But I am not entirely sure.

The one with the duck seems wrong. Not only does A) not fit into the sentence, also I believe a duck has a lower density than water.

Oh wow, actually the A for the duck was actually supposed to be F, the same. But yeah that will still be incorrect. So my assumption now would be; since it is touching the bottom and not floating, wouldn't it be greater then the one without the duck??

I guess one should assume, the duck floats, and thus only its legs are in the water. They could have a higher or lower density, if much of the duck is above the surface, it could still weight more, although I would say this depends on the size of the duck as well. Nonetheless, interesting questions :-)

1. What is a "True/False -ish" question?

A "True/False -ish" question is a type of question that allows for a range of answers, rather than just a simple "true" or "false". It often includes words like "mostly", "sometimes", or "usually", which give the respondent more flexibility in their answer.

2. How does buoyancy work?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid (such as water or air) exerts on an object that is partially or fully immersed in it. This force is due to the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with more pressure pushing up on the bottom than on the top. This creates a net upward force that can counteract the weight of the object and cause it to float.

3. What factors affect an object's buoyancy?

The buoyancy of an object is affected by its density, volume, and the density of the fluid it is placed in. Objects with a lower density than the fluid will float, while objects with a higher density will sink. The volume of the object also plays a role, as a larger object will displace more fluid and have a greater buoyant force. Finally, the density of the fluid itself will impact the object's buoyancy, as denser fluids will provide more buoyant force.

4. How is buoyancy used in everyday life?

Buoyancy is used in many everyday situations, from swimming and boating to hot air balloons and submarines. It is also important in industries such as shipping, where understanding buoyancy is crucial for designing and loading cargo ships. Buoyancy is also a key concept in engineering and construction, as structures such as bridges and buildings must be designed to withstand buoyant forces from water and air.

5. Can an object have negative buoyancy?

Yes, an object can have negative buoyancy, which means it will sink in a fluid. This occurs when the object's density is greater than the density of the fluid it is placed in. For example, a rock will have negative buoyancy in water because it is denser than water. However, an object can have negative buoyancy in one fluid and positive buoyancy in another. For instance, a submarine is designed to have negative buoyancy in air, but positive buoyancy in water.