Objects in equilibrium hinged platform with cable problem

In summary, the problem involves a hinged platform flagpole supported by a cable and the goal is to find the tension in the cable and the horizontal and vertical forces at the hinge. The equations used were ∑F=0, ∑T=0, and T= F* the lever arm. After setting up the equations for the X and Y forces and the sum of torques, it was discovered that there were four unknowns and only three equations. The solution involved solving for R and T in terms of x and theta, resulting in T = 500 N and Rx= 433 N Ry= 250 N as the correct answer.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A hinged platform flagpole weighing 500 Newtons is supported in the horizontal position by a cable as shown in figure 4.35
db4208af-4577-4e0c-9851-aba4c6f18afb.jpe
. Find the tension in the cable and the horizontal and vertical forces at the hinge. Angle ø = 30°

Homework Equations

∑F=0
∑T=0
T= F* the lever arm

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was created the three equations R cos θ -T cos 30=0 for the X forces
where R is the resultant force of the wall acting on the hinge of the beam and T is the tension in the wire. The equation for the Y forces was R sin θ + T sin θ -500=0. Then I made the equation T sin 30 (x) -500 (1/2)(x)=0 for the sum of the torques is zero. My problem is I have four unknowns and only three equations meaning I can't substitute. What do I do now? The correct answer is T = 500 N and Rx= 433 N Ry= 250 N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe just go ahead and solve for R and T in terms of x and theta and see what happens.

I don't think that will work because you have more unknowns than you have equations to work with. I tried it and it doesn't seem to work.

if you did it correctly then I think you would see that one of those variables actually drops out

Ok I see it now thanks!

Related to Objects in equilibrium hinged platform with cable problem

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in a hinged platform with cable problem?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration.

2. How is the tension in the cable calculated in a hinged platform with cable problem?

The tension in the cable can be calculated using the principle of moments, where the sum of clockwise moments is equal to the sum of counterclockwise moments.

3. What is the role of the hinge in a hinged platform with cable problem?

The hinge acts as a fixed point around which the platform can rotate, allowing for the forces acting on the platform to be balanced and the object to remain in equilibrium.

4. How does the weight of the platform affect the equilibrium in a hinged platform with cable problem?

The weight of the platform is one of the forces acting on the object, and it must be balanced by the tension in the cable and any other external forces in order for the object to remain in equilibrium.

5. What are some real-life applications of a hinged platform with cable problem?

This type of problem can be seen in various structures, such as cranes or bridges, where a platform is supported by cables and hinges in order to achieve equilibrium and maintain stability.