Observables on the "3 polarizers experiment"

In summary, the 3 polarizers experiment is similar to the Stern-Gerlach experiment. The process is to pass a spin up sample (Z component) to a second filter that measures the X component of the spin. You lose information about the Z component. The analogy is that just as the particle state “spin up” can be written as the vector sum of the states “spin left” and “spin right”, the vertically polarized state of a photon can be written as the vector sum of the states “polarized at 45º” and “polarized at -45º“.
DougFisica
TL;DR Summary
Analogy between 3 polarizers experiment and Stern-Gerlach experiment
Observables on the "3 polarizers experiment"
Hi guys,

I was analyzing the 3 polarizers experiment. This one: (first 2 minutes -> )

Doing the math (https://faculty.csbsju.edu/frioux/polarize/POLAR-sup.pdf) I realized that the process is similar to the Stern-Gerlach' experiment.

Using spins for the Stern Gerlach experiment: if you prepare a spin up (Z component) sample (first filter), and pass it to a second filter that measure the X component of the spin. You lose information about the Z component.

I undertand that Z and X component are non-commuting observables.

My question is:

Is there there an analogy for the polarizers experiment?

For example, if I measure the vertical component (first polarizer), I cannot get information about the 45º component (second polarizer).

I would guess the answer is Yes, however I cannot understand the "45º component" physical meaning.

Physics news on Phys.org
DougFisica said:
For example, if I measure the vertical component (first polarizer), I cannot get information about the 45º component (second polarizer).

I would guess the answer is Yes, however I cannot understand the "45º component" physical meaning.
What you are calling “the 45º component” is the probability amplitude that the photon will pass through a filter oriented at 45 degrees. No matter what that amplitude was before the vertical polarizer (it could even have been 1, if the photon had previously passed through a polarizer at 45º) the vertical measurement leaves that amplitude at ##\sqrt{2}/2## - we no longer know anything about the previous state and the photon has a 50% chance of passing a 45º filter.

To continue the analogy with the Stern-Gerlach measurement: just as the particle state “spin up” can be written as the vector sum of the states “spin left” and “spin right”, the vertically polarized state of a photon can be written as the vector sum of the states “polarized at 45º” and “polarized at -45º“.

Likes DougFisica and vanhees71
Nugatory said:
Thanks for the answer =)

1. What is the purpose of the "3 polarizers experiment"?

The purpose of the "3 polarizers experiment" is to demonstrate the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of superposition and the role of measurement in determining the state of a system.

2. How does the experiment work?

The experiment involves passing a beam of polarized light through three polarizers, each at a different angle. The polarizers act as filters, allowing only light with a certain polarization to pass through. By adjusting the angles of the polarizers, the experiment demonstrates the changing probabilities of measuring different polarizations of the light.

3. What is the significance of the results from this experiment?

The results of this experiment show that the state of a system can be changed simply by measuring it. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has important implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. Can this experiment be used to test other theories or concepts in physics?

Yes, this experiment can be used to test various theories and concepts in physics, such as the uncertainty principle and entanglement. It has also been used to demonstrate the limitations of classical physics in explaining the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How does this experiment relate to real-world applications?

This experiment may not have direct real-world applications, but it has greatly contributed to our understanding of quantum mechanics and has led to the development of technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics and telecommunications.