Observation in the double-slit experiment

In summary, the double-slit experiment is a famous experiment in physics that demonstrates the dual nature of particles as both waves and particles. When a particle is observed going through the slits, it behaves like a bullet, passing through one slit or the other. However, when no one is observing the particle, it exhibits the behavior of a wave and can pass through both slits at the same time. This phenomenon was first described by physicist Richard Feynman in the 20th century. While there are many explanations for this phenomenon, it is important to note that the idea of particles switching between behaving like waves and particles was abandoned almost a century ago. The resulting interference pattern on the detection screen is a result of all possible paths between the
quantumdave
I'm not sure if there's a better category to post this in, and I'm just a casual physics enthusiast, but I'm having trouble understanding this:

"Consider the famous two-slit experiment. When you watch a particle go through the holes, it behaves like a bullet, passing through one slit or the other. But if no one observes the particle, it exhibits the behavior of a wave and can pass through both slits at the same time."

How do I "watch" a particle go through a hole? I don't think I've looked at one going through a slit nor seen it behave like a bullet.

Also if nobody's observing the particle then I don't know how anyone can tell that it behaved like a wave and passed through both slits at the same time.

I know many explanations use these terms, but it just seems nonsensical the way this person is describing it; I'm coming at it from lay-terms, but I'm just trying to make sense of this description mechanically (or physically?).

Physics news on Phys.org
quantumdave said:
How do I "watch" a particle go through a hole? I don't think I've looked at one going through a slit nor seen it behave like a bullet.

Since the particles are on the size of molecules or smaller, you have to use specialized detectors. You certainly can't see it with your eye or even with an optical microscope. Note that comparing the impact pattern on the detection screen with one slit open vs with both slits open immediately shows you that particles do not act like 'classical' particles (little bullets) since the pattern on the screen with both slits open is one of a wave, not a series of classical particle impacts.

quantumdave said:
Also if nobody's observing the particle then I don't know how anyone can tell that it behaved like a wave and passed through both slits at the same time.

What scientists typically do is they set up the experiment and shoot hundreds or thousands of particles through the slits to a screen on the other side, and a detector records the impact position on the screen. If you observe which slit the particles go through (using a separate detector) then the pattern of impacts on the screen are just like classical particles. But if you don't observe which slit the particles go through, then the resulting impact pattern is identical to that of a wave passing through the two slits.

Sloppy descriptions of the double-slit experiment are sadly all too easy to find, and you've found one - you're right to feel that something has to be wrong here.

A better description would be something along the lines of: the probability of the particle being detected at any point on the screen includes contributions from all the possible paths between detector and screen (and the contributions aren't all additive, which is how we get interference patterns when the pattern is built up one detection at a time as @Drakkith describes above). If we have any sort of particle detector or any other interaction at one of the slits, that will make it impossible for there to have been paths through one slit or the other slit (for example, there are no paths through the left-hand slit that will trigger a detector at the right-hand slit) so we no longer have contributions from these paths and we don't get an interference pattern. In practice, we usually just close off one slit or the other to eliminate possible paths through it because the interesting quantum mechanical phenomenon is that we do get an interference pattern when paths through both slits are possible, and we do not when only one slit is possible.

The idea that the particle switches between behaving like a particle and like a wave was abandoned almost a century ago. Unfortunately by then it had leaked out into the popular imagination and lives on as a sort of urban legend, something that "everyone knows" even though it isn't true.

quantumdave said:
I'm not sure if there's a better category to post this in, and I'm just a casual physics enthusiast, but I'm having trouble understanding this:

"Consider the famous two-slit experiment. When you watch a particle go through the holes, it behaves like a bullet, passing through one slit or the other. But if no one observes the particle, it exhibits the behavior of a wave and can pass through both slits at the same time."

I know many explanations use these terms, but it just seems nonsensical the way this person is describing it; I'm coming at it from lay-terms, but I'm just trying to make sense of this description mechanically (or physically?).

Try watching this if you have an hour to spare:

http://www.cornell.edu/video/richard-feynman-messenger-lecture-6-probability-uncertainty-quantum-mechanical-view-nature

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
Nugatory said:
Sloppy descriptions of the double-slit experiment are sadly all too easy to find, and you've found one - you're right to feel that something has to be wrong here.

A better description would be something along the lines of: the probability of the particle being detected at any point on the screen includes contributions from all the possible paths between detector and screen (and the contributions aren't all additive, which is how we get interference patterns when the pattern is built up one detection at a time as @Drakkith describes above). If we have any sort of particle detector or any other interaction at one of the slits, that will make it impossible for there to have been paths through one slit or the other slit (for example, there are no paths through the left-hand slit that will trigger a detector at the right-hand slit) so we no longer have contributions from these paths and we don't get an interference pattern. In practice, we usually just close off one slit or the other to eliminate possible paths through it because the interesting quantum mechanical phenomenon is that we do get an interference pattern when paths through both slits are possible, and we do not when only one slit is possible.

The idea that the particle switches between behaving like a particle and like a wave was abandoned almost a century ago. Unfortunately by then it had leaked out into the popular imagination and lives on as a sort of urban legend, something that "everyone knows" even though it isn't true.

I am a curious layman. Would have made a similar post, but hope it is ok to ask here since my confusion is very related in my eyes. How does the setup in any double slit experiment judge between what is a chosen measurement and what is just an interaction? In my understanding interactions happen all the time everywhere, and I am confused how nature knows?

Brian E said:
I am a curious layman. Would have made a similar post, but hope it is ok to ask here since my confusion is very related in my eyes. How does the setup in any double slit experiment judge between what is a chosen measurement and what is just an interaction? In my understanding interactions happen all the time everywhere, and I am confused how nature knows?
Coupling of the quantum system with any other system that is big enough can lead to decoherence. This was clearly demonstrated in the double-slit top experiment using molecules, where the heating of the molecules lead to a decrease in the fringe contrast. If the molecule emits even a single photon, then the coupling the the EM field is enough for the trajectory to be reduced to a classical path. Another way to see this is that by detecting the photon, one could infer through which slit the molecule traveled, and this removes the interference. And actually detecting the photon is not necessary: simply the fact that the molecule has been coupled to the EM field with one photon is enough to lead to decoherence.

Likes PeroK and member 342489
Brian E said:
David Lindley's book "Where does the weirdness go?" is a good layman-friendly explanation of decoherence.

Likes member 342489
DrClaude & Nurgatory thank you for both your answers.

As I understand DrClaudes answer, some level of threshold will cause a collapse. If I understand that correct, that makes some kind of sense to my still curious layman mind.

I will get the book you recommended Nurgatory, it looks like an interesting read.

Have a look at the Feynman lectures vol. III. Feynman starts QM with a careful explanation of the double-slit experiment with quantum particles, and he also gives the right interpretation, i.e., the "shutup-and-calculate interpretation", for an introductory text (SCNR):

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_01.html#Ch1-S1

1. How does the double-slit experiment work?

The double-slit experiment involves shining a beam of particles, such as electrons or photons, through two parallel slits in a barrier and observing the resulting pattern on a screen behind the barrier. This experiment helps to illustrate the wave-particle duality of matter, as the particles behave like waves and interfere with each other as they pass through the slits.

2. What is the purpose of the double-slit experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to demonstrate the concept of wave-particle duality and to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also helps to illustrate the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with certainty.

3. What is the role of observation in the double-slit experiment?

In the double-slit experiment, observation plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the particles. When the particles are not observed, they behave like waves and create an interference pattern on the screen. However, when they are observed, they act as particles and do not create an interference pattern.

4. What are the implications of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It challenges our classical understanding of particles as either waves or particles and shows that they can exhibit properties of both. It also raises questions about the role of observation and the nature of reality itself.

5. How has the double-slit experiment contributed to scientific advancements?

The double-slit experiment has contributed to various scientific advancements, including the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental nature of matter. It has also led to technological advancements, such as the development of electron microscopes and other devices that utilize the wave-like behavior of particles. It continues to be a significant tool for furthering our understanding of the quantum world.