Young's Double Slit Experiment: Is it Possible?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difficulty of describing the two slits Young experiment using Hamiltonian because the particle has a constraint to pass through the slits. The possibility of describing it without Hamiltonian is also questioned, as well as the use of constrained Hamiltonians and the feasibility of using Feynman paths on a given surface.
Heidi
I think that it is harder to describe the two slits Young experiment in terms of hamiltonian because the particle has a constraint: to pass through the slits. is it possible?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it is harder to describe the two slits Young experiment in terms of hamiltonian because the particle has a constraint: to pass through the slits. is it possible? thanks.

How do you describe it without Hamiltonian?

my question is about the constrained hamiltonian if it is used. i do not says it does not exist. we may have H=0 with constrained hamiltonians so problems raise.
more generally can we use the feynman paths when the paths are constrained to live on a given surface (say a 4 sphere)

1. What is Young's Double Slit Experiment?

The Young's Double Slit Experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How is Young's Double Slit Experiment performed?

To perform the experiment, a coherent light source (such as a laser) is shone through two parallel slits onto a screen. The resulting interference pattern is then observed and recorded.

3. What does Young's Double Slit Experiment prove?

The experiment proves that light behaves like a wave, as the interference pattern created on the screen can only be explained by the superposition of waves. This supports the wave theory of light proposed by Thomas Young in the early 1800s.

4. Is it possible to perform Young's Double Slit Experiment with other types of waves?

Yes, the experiment can be performed with any type of wave, not just light waves. This includes sound waves, water waves, and even electromagnetic waves.

5. Why is Young's Double Slit Experiment important?

This experiment is important because it provided evidence for the wave theory of light, which revolutionized our understanding of light and led to the development of modern physics. It also has practical applications, such as in the field of optics and in the study of diffraction and interference phenomena.