Observing the new supernova in Ursa Major (M101, pinwheel galaxy)

In summary, a new supernova has been discovered in the "pinwheel galaxy", M101, located in the constellation Ursa Major. It has reached a magnitude of 10.2 and can be seen with binoculars. For a map of its location, visit the provided link. The article also includes a story about the supernova and various pictures of it. Unfortunately, some people may not be able to view it due to cloudy weather.
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The new supernova is in the "pinwheel galaxy", M101, near the edge of a spiral arm.

The galaxy is in Ursa Major, roughly where the tip of the bear's tail would be if it flicked upward!

It has reached magnitude 10.2, so not a naked-eye object, but visible with binoculars.

For a map, see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Ursa_Major_IAU.svg/1000px-Ursa_Major_IAU.svg.png"

For the story, see http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/128430288.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thx for the info Tim.

Nice! I'll have to try to get a view soon. Don't know if I will be able to unless it remains bright into the weekend, as I get off after the big dipper is close to passing out of view from my yard.

Thunderf00t has some yewtewbz anent...

i plan to see tonight, i hope i have clear skies !

I like the picture at the top of this article: http://www.global-rent-a-scope.com/aartscope/2011/8/27/its-a-really-super-nova.html

The article has been updated with different pics since first sighting.

Not a single clear night for me :cry: so vacarious viewing is the only option.

I wish it was more the second version of the crab nebula supernova :(

What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful and highly energetic explosion that occurs in the outer layers of a star. It is one of the most violent events in the universe and can release an enormous amount of energy and radiation.

Where is the new supernova located?

The new supernova in Ursa Major, also known as the pinwheel galaxy (M101), is located in the constellation of Ursa Major and can be observed from Earth in the northern hemisphere.

When was the new supernova first observed?

The new supernova in Ursa Major was first observed on September 20, 2019 by amateur astronomer Joel Shepherd. It was later confirmed by other astronomers and has been designated as SN 2019ehk.

How far away is the new supernova?

The new supernova in Ursa Major is estimated to be approximately 21 million light-years away from Earth. This means that the light we see from the supernova today actually left the star 21 million years ago.

What can we learn from observing the new supernova?

Studying the new supernova in Ursa Major can provide valuable insights into the life cycle of stars and the mechanisms behind supernova explosions. It can also help scientists better understand the composition and structure of the pinwheel galaxy (M101).

Back