Octave with C++ on Fedora 16 | Finding oct.h

In summary, DonaldD is looking for help with using Octave with C++ on Fedora 16. They are wondering if the Fedora build has compiled the oct.h library and if anyone has experience with this or can suggest a workaround. They also mention that they have received a solution from another forum regarding a missing library and clarify that the header file is not compiled. They provide a link to the Octave manual for further information.
DonaldD
Hi all,
I'm using Fedora 16 and installed Octave thru Yum.
There is an example in the Octave manual of using Octave with C++ and it #includes a oct.h file.
However, the Fedora build may not have compiled the oct.h library ? or I'm searching in the wrong places.
Has anyone had any experience of this and does anyone know or can suggest a workaround ?
Just point me in a direction if you can please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey DonaldD and welcome to the forums.

You should note that header files are never compiled: only source files with a .c, .cpp, or similar are compiled.

Header files are usually packed only with definitions and even if they do include any code, they are never compiled into a source object file so if you are worried about compilation issues with this .h, you don't need to.

Can you point us to a link regarding this header file and information?

Just got a reply from another forum. solved it. There was a missing library.
I know, the header is not compiled. It's just a textual definition file. Just the way I worded it.
If you still want to look at this, it's in the Octave manual, either the Homepage or on sourceforge

1. How do I install Octave with C++ on Fedora 16?

To install Octave with C++ on Fedora 16, you can use the following command in the terminal:
sudo dnf install octave-octave-forge-octavecpp octave-octave-forge-octavecpp-devel

2. What is the purpose of the "oct.h" file?

The "oct.h" file is a header file in the Octave library that contains declarations for functions and data structures used in Octave programs written in C++.

3. How can I find the "oct.h" file on Fedora 16?

You can use the "locate" command in the terminal to find the "oct.h" file. For example:
locate oct.h

4. What are the benefits of using Octave with C++ on Fedora 16?

Using Octave with C++ on Fedora 16 allows you to leverage the speed and efficiency of C++ while also having access to the extensive mathematical and scientific capabilities of Octave.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to use Octave with C++ on Fedora 16?

Yes, there are many online tutorials and documentation available for learning how to use Octave with C++ on Fedora 16. Some good resources include the official Octave wiki and the Fedora project documentation.