Oddity in using maxwell's equations in time independent form

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the H field in phasor form from the given E field in phasor form, with the EM wave propagating in free space. The discrepancy in answers when dividing Es by the magnitude of the intrinsic impedance of free space and solving for H field using Maxwell's equations is attributed to the time-varying and propagating nature of the wave. This leads to the definition of intrinsic impedance.
FOIWATER
Gold Member
I am solving a question that asks me to find an H field in phasor form from the given E field in phasor form

Es = j30(beta)(I)(dl)sin(theta)e^(-j(beta)r) a(theta) V/m

Given that the EM wave propagates in free space.

Why do I get different answers if I :

1) Divide Es by the magnitude of the intrinsic impedance of free space

2) Solve for H field using maxwells equations in phasor form

Should be the same answer right? Since intrinsic impedance is derived using maxwell's equations in my textbook.

any help thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am now assuming it is because not only is the wave time varying, it is also propagating.

That leads to the treatment of the field as a wave, and THAT leads to the definition of intrinsic impedance?

1. What are Maxwell's equations in time independent form?

Maxwell's equations in time independent form are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a vacuum. They are named after James Clerk Maxwell, a Scottish physicist who first proposed them in the 19th century.

2. Why is it important to use Maxwell's equations in time independent form?

Using Maxwell's equations in time independent form allows us to accurately predict and understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields over time. This is crucial in many fields, such as electrical engineering, telecommunications, and optics.

3. Can Maxwell's equations in time independent form be applied to time-varying systems?

No, Maxwell's equations in time independent form are only valid for time-independent systems where the fields do not change over time. For time-varying systems, the time-dependent form of Maxwell's equations must be used.

4. What are some real-world applications of Maxwell's equations in time independent form?

Maxwell's equations in time independent form have numerous applications in modern technology, including the design of antennas, motors, generators, and electronic circuits. They are also used in the study of electromagnetic waves, which are essential for wireless communication and radar.

5. Are there any limitations to using Maxwell's equations in time independent form?

One limitation of Maxwell's equations in time independent form is that they only apply to linear materials, meaning that the behavior of the electric and magnetic fields is directly proportional to the applied electric and magnetic fields. In non-linear materials, more complex equations are needed to accurately describe the behavior of fields.