ODE Proof (2nd order linear homogeneous equations)

In summary, two linearly independent solutions to the differential equation have consecutive zeros at x0 and x1, and if one is never zero on the interval (x0, x1), then its Wronskian must have a positive value at one point and a negative value at another point, leading to a contradiction. This requires the other solution to have a zero between x0 and x1, ensuring that the Wronskian's sign will be positive at one point and negative at another.
Daxin

Homework Statement

Suppose u, v are two linearly independent solutions to the differential equation u''+p(x)u'+q(x)v=0. If x0,x1 are consecutive zeros of u, then v has a zero on the open interval (x0,x1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to use the Wronskian(u,v;x) to arrive at a contradiction.

I know that the W = uv'-u'v is never 0 since u,v are linearly independent. Furthermore, since it is a combination of C2 functions it must also be continuous on [x0,x1] = I. Also if I suppose that v is never zero on I, then it must be always positive or always negative. Same with u, since we know x0,x1 are consecutive zeros. From this I want to show that the Wronskian is positive at some point in I, and negative at another point, which would lead to a contradiction. Is this the right idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Daxin said:

Homework Statement

Suppose u, v are two linearly independent solutions to the differential equation u''+p(x)u'+q(x)v=0. If x0,x1 are consecutive zeros of u, then v has a zero on the open interval (x0,x1)
Surely you don't mean to have both u and v in the equation itself? Since u and v are to be specific solutions, it would be better to say
"Suppose u, v are two linearly independent solutions to the differential equation y''+p(x)y'+q(x)y=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the W = uv'-u'v is never 0 since u,v are linearly independent. Furthermore, since it is a combination of C2 functions it must also be continuous on [x0,x1] = I. Also if I suppose that v is never zero on I, then it must be always positive or always negative. Same with u, since we know x0,x1 are consecutive zeros. From this I want to show that the Wronskian is positive at some point in I, and negative at another point, which would lead to a contradiction. Is this the right idea?
Sounds like a good plan. How are you going to implement it?

Daxin said:

I think there is a direct proof: You have
[tex]W(x_0) = u(x_0)v'(x_0) - u'(x_0)v(x_0) = -u'(x_0)v(x_0)[/tex]
and similarly
[tex]W(x_1) = -u'(x_1)v(x_1)[/tex]
and, since [itex]W(x)[/itex] vanishes nowhere, [itex]W(x_0)[/itex] and [itex]W(x_1)[/itex] must have the same sign. Thus
[tex]W(x_0)W(x_1) = u'(x_0)v(x_0)u'(x_1)v(x_1) > 0.[/tex]

Now use the fact that [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]x_1[/itex] are consecutive zeroes of [itex]u[/itex] to show that [itex]u'(x_0)u'(x_1) < 0[/itex].

What does that require of [itex]v(x_0)v(x_1)[/itex] if the condition on [itex]W(x_0)W(x_1)[/itex] is to hold?

Yeah thanks guys, I think I get it now.

v(x0)v(x1) would have to be negative. And since v is cts it must have an 0 between x0 and x1.

Related to ODE Proof (2nd order linear homogeneous equations)

1. What is an ODE Proof?

An ODE Proof refers to the process of proving the solution to a second order linear homogeneous equation, also known as an ordinary differential equation (ODE). This is done by showing that the proposed solution satisfies the given equation.

2. What is a second order linear homogeneous equation?

A second order linear homogeneous equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative, but no higher derivatives, of an unknown function. It is considered linear because the unknown function and its derivatives appear with a power of 1, and it is considered homogeneous because all terms involve the unknown function and its derivatives.

3. How is an ODE Proof performed?

An ODE Proof is typically performed by first substituting the proposed solution into the equation and simplifying the resulting expression. Then, the first and second derivatives of the proposed solution are calculated and substituted into the equation. If the resulting expression is equal to 0, then the solution is proven to satisfy the given equation.

4. Why is ODE Proof important?

ODE Proof is important because it allows us to verify the validity of a proposed solution to a second order linear homogeneous equation. This is crucial in many areas of science and engineering, where these types of equations are commonly used to model various natural phenomena.

5. What are some common techniques used in ODE Proof?

Some common techniques used in ODE Proof include separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution methods. These techniques help to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve. Computer software and numerical methods can also be used to perform ODE Proof.