ODE system. Limit cycle; Hopf bifurcation.

In summary, the conversation discusses a two-dimensional system of ODEs with a limit-cycle solution for certain values of the parameter $a$. The nature of the Hopf bifurcation at the critical value of $a$ is determined, and the equilibrium point is found to be $(0,0)$. The conversation also explores the behavior of paths for positive and negative values of $a$, and the critical value of $a$ is identified as 0.
Jason4
Problem:

The following two-dimensional system of ODEs possesses a limit-cycle solution for certain values of the parameter$a$. What is the nature of the Hopf bifurcation that occurs at the critical value of $a$ and state what the critical value is.

$\dot{x}=-y+x(a+x^2+(3/2)y^2)$

$\dot{y}=x+y(a+x^2+(3/2)y^2)$

By setting each equation to zero, i found the only equilibrium point to be $(0,0)$.

For the Jacobian matrix at $(0,0)$, I have:

$J(0,0)=\left( \begin{array}{cc}
a & -1\\
1 & a\end{array} \right)$

So:

$\tau=2a$

$\delta=a^2+1>0$

$\bigtriangleup=-4<0$

which gives:

$a<0$: $(0,0)$ is an attractor spiral.

$a>0$: $(0,0)$ is a repellor spiral.

$a=0$: $(0,0)$ is a center.

Does this mean that paths spiral into $(0,0)$ for negative $a$, and then spiral out towards a stable limit cycle? And, for positive $a$ beyond the limit cycle, paths spiral in towards it?

How do I find the critical value?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you go to polar coordinates you can really see what's going on

$\dot{r} = r\left(a + x^2 + \dfrac{3}{2}y^2\right),\;\;\; \dot{\theta} = 1$.

Jason said:
Does this mean that paths spiral into $(0,0)$ for negative $a$, and then spiral out towards a stable limit cycle?

Paths outside the limit cycle spiral outwards, whereas paths inside the limit cycle spiral into $(0,\ 0)$.

And, for positive $a$ beyond the limit cycle, paths spiral in towards it?

When $a$ is positive, there is no limit cycle.

How do I find the critical value?

Clearly, the critical value of $a$ is 0.

Last edited:
Yeah I see I got that backwards.

So when $a$ is positive, paths spiral out from $(0,0)$. When $a$ is negative, paths spiral in toward $(0,0)$, and the limit cycle is unstable?

Jason said:
So when $a$ is positive, paths spiral out from $(0,0)$. When $a$ is negative, paths spiral in toward $(0,0)$, and the limit cycle is unstable?

Yes, the limit cycle is unstable. (See my previous post.)

1. What is an ODE system?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) system is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system over time. It consists of a set of equations that relate the rate of change of one or more variables to the values of those variables at any given time.

2. What is a limit cycle in an ODE system?

A limit cycle is a type of behavior exhibited by certain ODE systems where the variables of the system repeat their values over a period of time. This creates a closed loop or cycle in the behavior of the system.

3. What is Hopf bifurcation in an ODE system?

Hopf bifurcation is a type of critical point in an ODE system where a stable fixed point changes into an unstable limit cycle. This can result in the system exhibiting complex behavior such as oscillations or chaos.

4. How do you determine the existence of a limit cycle in an ODE system?

The existence of a limit cycle in an ODE system can be determined by analyzing the system's phase portrait, which is a graphical representation of the system's behavior over time. A limit cycle will appear as a closed curve in the phase portrait.

5. How can Hopf bifurcation be detected in an ODE system?

Hopf bifurcation can be detected by analyzing the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix of the system. If the real part of the eigenvalues changes from negative to positive, then a Hopf bifurcation has occurred.