Off-axis magnetic field between two current-carrying rectangular loops

In summary, the goal of this homework is to find the magnetic field between two rectangular loops carrying current in the same direction. The on-axis field is easy to find, but the off-axis field is more complicated to calculate.
ssj2poliwhirl

Homework Statement

Not exactly a homework problem, but the actual working resembles it.
Basically it is a standard calculation for the magnetic field between a set of Helmholtz coils, except with a rectangular loop instead of circular ie: two identical rectangular magnetic loops (dimensions L x W) carrying a current I in the same direction, placed symmetrically along a common axis, one on each side of the experimental area, separated by a distance d.

I want to be able to calculate the total magnetic field due to the loops at ANY point in between them (off-axis magnetic field). I believe that for circular coils there is no analytical solution for this, but I *think* there should be for a rectangular loop.

Homework Equations

Applying Biot-Savart Law

The Attempt at a Solution

So at first we start with the same method for finding the on-axis field (which is relatively trivial) - find equations for the magnetic field caused by each loop separately and then sum them at a given point.

We consider each loop as 4 segments of straight, finite wire (2 pairs of length L and W with the appropriate orientation), noting that each pair's current is going to flow in the opposite direction.
Because of this fact, the on-axis field is easy because the magnetic field components off the axis for a line of wire cancels out with its opposite pair, so we just sum the 4 on-axis fields and we're done.

We can't do this for the off-axis calculation, so I think we need to start looking at perpendicular lengths and angles to calculate the field due to the wire at any point. I can do this in two dimensions (ie: considering the wire to be along the y-axis, and the point we are finding the field at in the x-y plane), but start getting a bit confused in three dimensions when it comes to adding up the components from each side of the rectangular loop - unlike previously, each segment's field will point in a different direction without cancelling neatly.

It occurs to me that the field's magnitude will be the same for a section of wire for the same perpendicular distance regardless of whether the point is neatly in the x-y plane or not, but I get a bit confused combining the different directions with other segments of wires.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't be too sanguine about your prospects.

I do know that computing the self-inductance of a rectangular coil is very - er - problematic. And what is that but determining the total flux piercing the coil for a given current.

Ah oh dear, really :(

I just thought that it would nicely break down into summing magnetic field components from 8 straight finite wires, which ultimately makes the problem finding the field at any point (x,y,z) due to a finite wire [I'm already not very comfortable with this though, since I've only ever seen it done in 2 dimensions] - with the difficulty coming from combining the three-dimensional field components, but I thought that was just my own lack of expertise with EM.

So was I oversimplifying the solution?

ssj2poliwhirl said:
So was I oversimplifying the solution?

IMO yes, but there are wiser souls on this forum than I and I'm guessing that if they have any good ideas for you you will hear from them.

I can understand your confusion and the challenges you are facing in calculating the off-axis magnetic field between two current-carrying rectangular loops. The Biot-Savart Law is a powerful tool for calculating magnetic fields, but it can become complex when dealing with multiple segments and orientations.

One possible approach to simplify the problem is to consider the rectangular loops as a combination of circular loops. This way, you can use the analytical solution for the magnetic field between two circular loops and then integrate it over the rectangular loop's dimensions to get the total magnetic field at any point. Another approach could be to use numerical methods, such as finite element analysis, to model the magnetic field and obtain a more accurate solution.

I would also suggest consulting with experts in the field or looking for research papers on similar setups to see how they have tackled this problem. Collaborating with others and learning from their approaches can often lead to a better understanding and solution.

Overall, I appreciate your effort and determination to solve this problem. Keep exploring and experimenting, and you will eventually find a solution. Best of luck!

1. What is an off-axis magnetic field between two current-carrying rectangular loops?

An off-axis magnetic field between two current-carrying rectangular loops is a magnetic field that is produced when two rectangular loops, carrying electric currents in opposite directions, are placed parallel to each other but not directly on top of each other. This magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of the loops and is strongest at the center of the loops.

2. How is the strength of the off-axis magnetic field determined?

The strength of the off-axis magnetic field is determined by several factors, including the distance between the loops, the current flowing through the loops, and the size and shape of the loops. Mathematically, it can be calculated using the Biot-Savart Law, which relates the magnetic field at a point to the current and distance from the source.

3. What are the applications of off-axis magnetic fields between two current-carrying rectangular loops?

Off-axis magnetic fields between two current-carrying rectangular loops have various applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in particle accelerators, magnetic levitation systems, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They can also be used to generate electricity in power generators and to control the motion of particles in plasma physics experiments.

4. How does the direction of the off-axis magnetic field change with the orientation of the loops?

The direction of the off-axis magnetic field depends on the orientation of the loops and the direction of the current flowing through them. If the loops are parallel to each other, the magnetic field lines will be perpendicular to the plane of the loops. However, if the loops are tilted or rotated with respect to each other, the direction of the magnetic field will also change accordingly.

5. Can the strength of the off-axis magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, the strength of the off-axis magnetic field can be controlled by changing the current flowing through the loops or by adjusting the distance between the loops. In some applications, additional magnetic materials can also be used to amplify or redirect the magnetic field. However, the direction of the magnetic field is primarily determined by the orientation of the loops and the direction of the current, and cannot be easily controlled.