B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere (in a uniform external B-field)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the "pole method" in solving magnetostatic problems and its comparison to the surface current method. It also raises questions about the mathematical rigor of the magnetic potential method and its relationship to the equation B=μoH+M. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the use of Ampere's law and the correctness of the proposed solutions.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-8-22_13-25-2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Because of the external magnetic field ##\vec B_0 ## , a uniform magnetization will be in the direction of external magnetic field.
Because off this uniform magnetization, there will be a uniform magnetic fied in the direction of magnetization.
So, this implies that ##\vec H ## will be uniform and in the direction of the external magnetic field.

Let's take direction of external magnetic field along z - axis.
Take a square loop such that its two sides is along the z - axis and the other two are along the x-axis.
let's take one z-axis side at infinity, then Ampere's law gives ## \vec H = 0 ##, which gives ## \vec B = \vec M = 0##.
Is this correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
See also https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...field-of-a-uniformly-polarized-sphere.877891/ There is a "pole method" of solving magnetostatic problems (as opposed to the surface current method) that is directly analogous to the electrostatic problem with ## D,E,P ## replaced by ## B,H,M ## respectively, and ## \epsilon_o ## replaced by ## \mu_o ##. The one item to check in the units is that ## B=\mu_o H+M ## is the equation that is used rather than ## B=\mu_o H+\mu_o M ##, because the analogous electrostatic equation is ## D=\epsilon_o E+P ##. Se especially post #9 of the "link" above. Instead of a uniform applied ## E ## field, you have a uniformly applied ## H_o ## field where ## H_o=B_o/\mu_o ##. And see also post #7 of the "link" for some of the details of the Legendre solution. ## \\ ## Another "link" that you also might find useful is https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electric-field-of-a-charged-dielectric-sphere.890319/ , especially post #2 along with the complete discussion.

Last edited:
You may also wonder how the "magnetic pole" method could possibly work. That is actually what they taught us back in 1975-1980 as undergraduates as well as in graduate school, and they really weren't even teaching the surface current method at that time. Anyway, in about 2009-2010, I finally tied it all together. If you are interested in the details, here is a paper that I wrote up: It was my first attempt at using Latex, so the Latex isn't nearly as polished as it could be. https://www.overleaf.com/read/kdhnbkpypxfk You can click on the green arrow at the upper middle left to get the full page on the right. ## \\ ## Editing: One objection I had to the magnetic potential method as presented in the textbooks, as well as below by @NFuller , is that it appeared to lack complete mathematical rigor, in that although the potential satisfies ## \nabla^2 \phi=0 ## in the region where there aren't any poles, does the solution that is obtained with the boundary conditions with some distribution of poles, (outside of the ## \nabla^2 \phi=0 ## region), give the same result for the ## B ## field as that computed from magnetic surface currents from the magnetization? Perhaps it necessarily works, but I wasn't completely convinced until working the calculations that I did in this paper. Basically, I questioned the equation ## B=\mu_o H+M ##, and it needed to be derived, rather than assuming that it works, just because ## D=\epsilon_o E+P ##. In addition the question is, is it correct to write ## H_m(x)=\int \frac{\rho_m(x') (x-x') }{4 \pi \mu_o |x-x'|^3} d^3 x' ## where ## \rho_m=-\nabla \cdot M ##, analogous to the electrostatic ## E ## field equation? ## \\ ## [Assuming ## B=\mu_oH+M ##, we have ## \nabla \cdot B=0 ##, so that ## \nabla \cdot H=-\nabla \cdot M/(\mu_o) ##. This allows us to write the integral expression for ## H_m ## assuming the equation ## B=\mu_o H+M ## is correct. Note: With this expression, we also need to add solutions of the homogeneous equation ## \nabla \cdot H=0 ##, resulting from any currents in conductors, besides the magnetic pole contribution to ## H ## which is ## H_m ##]. ## \\ ## The answer is yes, but for me it wasn't completely obvious. (## x ## and ## x' ## and ## H_m ##, ## B ##, and ## M ## are vectors. The notation is shortened for brevity).

Last edited:
Pushoam said:
Take a square loop such that its two sides is along the z - axis and the other two are along the x-axis.
let's take one z-axis side at infinity, then Ampere's law gives ⃗H=0H→=0 \vec H = 0 , which gives ⃗B=⃗M=0B→=M→=0 \vec B = \vec M = 0.
Is this correct ?
The general method for solving this problem is the use of a magnetic scalar potential. Have you studied this yet?
Since there are no currents or time-varying fields, the magnetic field can be written as
$$\mathbf{H}=-\nabla\phi$$
$$\nabla^{2}\phi=0$$
So the magnetic potential is a solution of the Laplace equation. Do you know the general solution of this equation in spherical coordinates?

Likes Charles Link
NFuller said:
Have you studied this yet?
Sorry, I haven't studied this yet.
But, I think I understood your method.
What I understood is:
Since the sphere is linearly magnetic, when the sphere is put in the presence of external uniform magnetic field, it gets uniform magnetization ##\vec M##. Both ##\vec M ## and ##\vec B_0## are in the same direction. Now , magnetic field due to this magnetization inside the sphere is also uniform and in the direction of magnetization. So,finally the net magnetic field and the magnetization and therefore, the ##\vec H ## inside the sphere are uniform and in the same direction.
This allows me to take,
##\nabla \times \vec H = 0 ##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(1)
## \vec H = - \nabla \phi ##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(1.1)
## \nabla . \vec H = 0##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(2)
##\nabla^2 \phi = 0##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(2.1)

Since the question asks to calculate ##\vec B ## inside the sphere, I can do the same thing with ##\vec B## and get the corresponding eqns.
But, according to uniqueness theorem , I need to know the normal component ( to the spherical surface ) of ##\vec B ## or ##\vec H ## to specify it uniquely. How to get it?

Can't it be solved in the following way?
## \vec M = C \vec B \text{ magnetization due to magnetic field inside the sphere}
\\ \vec B = \vec B_0 + D \vec M \text{ magnetic field as superposition of magnetic field due to magnetization and the applied magnetic field }
\\ = \vec B_0 / (1-CD)\text { where C and D are appropriate constants} ##

Since, there exists no magnetic pole, I want to know whether it is useful to learn magnetic pole method.

Pushoam said:
let's take one z-axis side at infinity, then Ampere's law gives ⃗H=0H→=0 \vec H = 0 , which gives ⃗B=⃗M=0B→=M→=0 \vec B = \vec M = 0.
Is this correct ?
Isn't the above argument correct?

Pushoam said:
Sorry, I haven't studied this yet.
But, I think I understood your method.
What I understood is:
Since the sphere is linearly magnetic, when the sphere is put in the presence of external uniform magnetic field, it gets uniform magnetization ##\vec M##. Both ##\vec M ## and ##\vec B_0## are in the same direction. Now , magnetic field due to this magnetization inside the sphere is also uniform and in the direction of magnetization. So,finally the net magnetic field and the magnetization and therefore, the ##\vec H ## inside the sphere are uniform and in the same direction.
This allows me to take,
##\nabla \times \vec H = 0 ##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(1)
## \vec H = - \nabla \phi ##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(1.1)
## \nabla . \vec H = 0##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(2)
##\nabla^2 \phi = 0##~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(2.1)

Since the question asks to calculate ##\vec B ## inside the sphere, I can do the same thing with ##\vec B## and get the corresponding eqns.
But, according to uniqueness theorem , I need to know the normal component ( to the spherical surface ) of ##\vec B ## or ##\vec H ## to specify it uniquely. How to get it?

Can't it be solved in the following way?
## \vec M = C \vec B \text{ magnetization due to magnetic field inside the sphere}
\\ \vec B = \vec B_0 + D \vec M \text{ magnetic field as superposition of magnetic field due to magnetization and the applied magnetic field }
\\ = \vec B_0 / (1-CD)\text { where C and D are appropriate constants} ##

Since, there exists no magnetic pole, I want to know whether it is useful to learn magnetic pole method.
Your solution is close to being right.
In general, ## B=\mu_o H+M ## , so you start with ## B_i=\mu_o H_i+M_i ## and ## B_o=\mu_o H_o ##.
Inside the sphere ## M_i=\chi_m H_i ##
In addition by superposition, ## H_i=H_o+H_m ## where ## H_o ## is the applied field, and ## H_m=-\frac{1}{3} M_i ## for the spherical geometry just like the corresponding electrostatic problem. (The demagnetizing factor ## D=\frac{1}{3} ## for a sphere).
Solve for ## H_i ## and ## M_i ##, and then ## B_i=\mu_o H_i+M_i ##.
## \\ ## For a simpler problem connecting the surface current method to the pole method see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/magnetic-field-of-a-ferromagnetic-cylinder.863066/ The magnetic pole method is a mathematical shortcut that can be very useful. This "link" is the case of a simple permanent magnet where the resulting magnetic field is shown to be computed both by pole method and surface current method in the posting. ## \\ ## A physics professor at the University of Illinois-Urbana who has taught E&M there for quite a number of years tells me that they currently don't present the magnetic pole method any more until graduate school. When I was a student there, they taught it to us in the advanced undergraduate E&M class.

Likes Pushoam
I got the answer.
Thanks for the guidance.

Likes Charles Link
@Pushoam A couple of minor corrections on post #6 (It gets a little tricky because there are a couple systems of units that get used=c.g.s. uses ## B=H+4 \pi M ##, and there are two types of MKS units: ## B+\mu_o H+M ##, and ## B=\mu_o H+\mu_o M ##). ## \\ ## For the ## B=\mu_o H+M ## that I used, I should have written ## M_i=\mu_o \chi_m H_i ## and also ## H_m=-(1/3)(M_i/\mu_o) ##. ## \\ ## What I wrote in post #6 works if you use ## B=\mu_o H+\mu_o M ##. Hopefully it didn't cause too much confusion. :)

Last edited:
Yes, it didn't cause the confusion. I got what you wanted to say.
Thanks.

Likes Charles Link

What is the B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere?

The B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere is the magnetic field strength at any point inside the sphere, caused by the presence of a uniform external magnetic field.

How is the B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere calculated?

The B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀(H + M), where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, H is the external magnetic field strength, and M is the magnetization of the sphere.

Does the B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere vary at different points?

Yes, the B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere can vary at different points depending on the position and orientation of the external magnetic field, as well as the shape and properties of the sphere.

Can the B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere to be zero at certain points, such as the center of the sphere, if the external magnetic field is oriented in a specific way.

How does the B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere affect the behavior of magnetic materials?

The B-field inside a linear magnetic sphere can affect the behavior of magnetic materials by inducing a magnetic dipole moment in the material, causing it to align with the external magnetic field. This can lead to changes in the material's permeability and susceptibility.