Ohm's Law: Voltage Across Ideal Wire = 0

In summary, Krab is on summer vacation and there's no such thing as an ideal wire or an ideal voltage source.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Now, this question may be incredibly stupid, but it has been bothering me nonetheless. Say you have a basic circuit loop as shown in the picture.

Ohm's law:

[tex] V = RI [/tex]

Now, according to a textbook I'm reading right now, "By Ohm's law, there is no voltage across an ideal (i.e. zero-resistance) wire regardless of the current flowing through it."

I'm just wondering what the meaning of that statement is. Yeah, sure, obviously:

[tex] V = 0I = 0 [/tex]

But when I look at that picture, here's how I see it: there is definitely a potential difference between points A and B, because they are at either end of the battery. But these points are also the two ends of the wire that makes up the loop! So how could there possibly not be a potential difference across the wire?! And if there weren't, why would there be any current at all? Aren't the electrons moving from a point of high potential to low potential, gaining KE along the way?

Attachments

• Circuit Loop 1.JPG
    Circuit Loop 1.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no ideal voltage source. Meaning that for any realistic source, as current demanded is increased, you'll reach a point where voltage will start to drop. You can try this. put a voltmeter across a battery. Now short it out. I guarantee that if the shorting wire does not melt into a puddle, the voltage reading will drop to zero.

Hmm...

I've seen someone (inadvertantly) short a battery in the lab, using one of those dinky jumper wires. The wire was toast...went up in an impressive display of pyrotechnics. Unfortunately, this explanation doesn't make the answer to my question clear to me. My fault. Maybe the problem is that my question is sillier than you were expecting. I'm asking about the idealised, perfectly conducting wire referred to in the textbook quote. You connect the ends of it to the terminals of a battery. So how could there be no voltage across the wire?

So you are considering a case of an ideal wire and an ideal voltage source, and worrying that Ohm's law doesn't seem to apply? Do you realize that ideal means unreal? Are you the type of person who wastes time contemplating what happens when an irresistable force is applied to an immovable object?

Krab is obviously on summer vacation. There is no such thing as an ideal wire or an ideal voltage source. See the Maxwell equation.

Related to Ohm's Law: Voltage Across Ideal Wire = 0

What is Ohm's Law and how is it related to voltage across an ideal wire?

Ohm's Law states that the voltage across an ideal wire is directly proportional to the current flowing through it and inversely proportional to its resistance. This means that if the resistance of the wire remains constant, the voltage across it will also remain constant regardless of the current flowing through it.

What is an ideal wire and how does it differ from a real wire?

An ideal wire is a theoretical concept that has no resistance, meaning that it can conduct electricity without any loss of energy. In reality, all wires have some level of resistance, which can cause a drop in voltage across the wire.

Why does the voltage across an ideal wire equal 0?

Since an ideal wire has no resistance, there is no drop in voltage across it. This means that the voltage at any point along the wire will be the same as the voltage at the source, resulting in a voltage difference of 0.

Does Ohm's Law apply to all types of wires?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law of electricity and therefore applies to all types of wires, both ideal and real. However, in real wires, other factors such as temperature and material composition can also affect the voltage across the wire.

How is Ohm's Law used in practical applications?

Ohm's Law is used extensively in electrical engineering and is essential for designing and analyzing circuits. It allows engineers to calculate the voltage, current, and resistance of a circuit and ensure that components are operating within safe limits.