Oil types and viscosities -- advice requested please

• Automotive
  • Thread starter Abimotek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary: You should use a 5w30 oil in your Honda CRV 2000 if you live in a tropical area where temperatures are consistently high and it never gets near freezing.
Abimotek
Hello house, nice to be here, advices on oil type,I have below oil picture can in work in my Honda crv 2000 with oil specification 5w 30, I use the vehicle in Africa, but below picture is 10w 30

Attachments

• 20190107_075531.jpg
    20190107_075531.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 390
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome
Do not mix the 2 weights. If you have already, don't worry about it. Just do not make a habit of mixing grades or weights.

You are good to go with the 10w-30. The real important thing is proper oil changes. I would not go synthetic if not specified by Honda. Especially if high mileage.

5w30 vs 10w30 – Differences in Engine Oil Viscosity

What’s the difference between 5w30 and 10w30 oil? These oils are different thicknesses in cold temperatures with 5w30 being the thinner of the two.For this reason, it’s recommended to use it instead of 10w30 for vehicles operating in cold climates.

The first number, 5 or 10 in this case, is a measurement of how easily the oil pours at low temperatures.

The lower the number, the thinner it will be in these conditions: a 0 pours easier than a 5, a 5 easier than a 10, etc.

An oil with a lower viscosity (a lower number) will reach and protect the engine’s internal components faster.

The second number, which is 30 for both of these oils, indicates the thickness of the oil once it reaches operating/high temperatures.

A high viscosity (thicker) oil will adhere to mechanical components better when subjected to high pressure and stress and can withstand higher temperatures

before thinning out beyond its working viscosity (past which it can no longer provide adequate protection).

When to Use 10w30 vs 5w30
The only difference between these two oils is cold flow ability: a 10w30 oil will move slower than a 5w30 oil during cold startups.

At operating temperatures, both oils will have the same viscosity (30) and will flow and protect identically.

If the oil will be in the engine during winter and you live in a place where it gets cold during these months, use 5w30 oil. If it will only be in the engine during the summer, use 10w-30.

If you live in a tropical area where temperatures are consistently high and it never gets near freezing, an even higher starting viscosity oil like 15w40 can be used.

You should always use the weight of oil recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer to provide your engine with the best protection and maximum fuel economy.

Using an oil with a viscosity that is too high can result in excessive oil temperatures and increased drag, while using an oil with a viscosity that is too low can cause that oil to fly off of internal components when they’re in motion, leading to metal-to-metal contact that will accelerate engine wear. That said, most automakers will specify a range of oils that can be used in their motors, letting you choose the best viscosity to fit your driving conditions.

Likes russ_watters, anorlunda and Abimotek
Appreciate for your reply, as said >If you live in a tropical area where temperatures are consistently high and it never gets near freezing, an even higher starting viscosity oil like 15w40 can be used.
The temperature of my area currently is 33°
As attached and another oil i have 20w 50. Pls kindly advice weather temperature to use. Can i add oil treatment?

Attachments

• 20190107_125315.jpg
    20190107_125315.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 340
  • Screenshot_20190107-125139.png
    Screenshot_20190107-125139.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 383
you run the risk of failing to lube the engine properly. The oil galleries in the engine block were sized to use the factory rated oil. this is without additives. When you change this you risk the lubrication of that oil to the proper pressure in the oil galleries. Thicker is not always better and may harm things. Do not forget that oil plays three big roles..it lubricates, it cleans and it cools. Too thick may not clean properly and carry away heat as it should. If you are going to do anything to improve your hot climate situation, find a larger capacity oil filter to add more oil capacity. Add an external oil cooler.
Maybe ...maybe with caution go to up one on the weight but that is max..in my opinion

Attachments

• Honda-Oil-Chart3.jpg
    Honda-Oil-Chart3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 369
Likes russ_watters, Abimotek, anorlunda and 1 other person
Abimotek said:
The temperature of my area currently is 33°
33 degrees F or C?

berkeman said:
33 degrees F or C?
Frm attach I think is 33°C

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190107-125139.png
    Screenshot_20190107-125139.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 378
Watch out for the "film strength" of the oil, that is how much pressure can be applied to the metal surfaces before the oil breaks down or is squeezed out. I once (actually twice) used oil that the Harley Davidson motorcycle riders used in their bikes in my Honda. I figured 'Good enough for them, it's good enough for me.' Wrong! The 'big' bikes have a very conservative design so they have a long life. The smaller Hondas are designed for maximum performance with minimal weight and count on high film strength oil to lubricate the rotating parts. That cost me a couple of $400USD repair bills.

If your owners manual has words like 'Use only XXX brand oil meeting specification YYY', believe it! It's one case where it is NOT just marketing.

Here in the States, high film strength oil often has a seal/medallion printed on the container that says "For Gasoline Engines", not the most informative label I've seen.

The above information also applies to high performance cars.

Perhaps @jack action on this site can supply more information. He is another of the Race Car experts around here.

Cheers,
Tom

So the first oil you pictured there is a motorcycle oil. I wouldn't recommend using that, though I suppose you could in a pinch. 20w50 is also a poor choice, since it is dramatically thicker than the factory spec 5w30. You should look for a 5w30 automotive oil ideally (a 0w30 would also be acceptable), or if the car will exclusively be used in hot climates, a 40 weight might not be a terrible idea (0w40, 5w40 or 10w40). It is usually acceptable to go up one level in viscosity from the factory spec on older engines or ones used in hot climates (or in this case, both), but you should never go down from factory viscosity or up more than one step without a good reason. Stick with a 30 or 40 weight automotive oil.

Also, I disagree with Mike about one thing: there's no harm in using synthetic on an engine that doesn't call for it (and actually, there can be a number of benefits). If the engine calls for conventional, use either conventional or synthetic, but if it calls for synthetic, make sure to use it.

Attachments

• CR-V-2000-197.png
    CR-V-2000-197.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 494
  • CR-V-2000-198.png
    CR-V-2000-198.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 491
Likes Abimotek and Tom.G
Did you mean I can you the 10w 30 multigrade attached?

Attachments

• 20190107_075531.jpg
    20190107_075531.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 291
The oil in your picture is specially made for motorcycle engines with one oil system for the engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. The oil for car engines are specially made to reduce friction as much as possible between the piston and cylinder. This promotes better fuel economy. If you use this type of oil with a wet clutch, you might not have enough friction for the clutch to efficiently work. The classification that relates to that on your oil container is JASO MA:
4T specifications

Modern passenger car engine oils contain more and more friction modifiers. While this is the good thing for those segments (reduces wear and fuel consumption) it's bad for the motorcycles. At least for those motorcycles which use engine oil to lubricate their transmission and wet clutch. JASO introduced the MA and MB specification to distinguish between friction modified and non friction modified engine oils. Most four-stroke motorcycles with wet clutches need a JASO MA oil.
Going back to the Honda owner's manual presented earlier, the motorcycle oil would probably not fulfill this recommendation:
A fuel-efficient oil is recommended for your Honda. This is shown on the API Service label by the words "Energy Conserving." This oil is formulated to help your engine use less fuel.
But as long as you have the API SJ (or better) classification, it should be safe to use with your engine.

But I also wouldn't recommend it, it won't improve anything in a car engine, and I bet this oil cost more than regular car oil of the same standard.

1. What is the difference between conventional and synthetic oil?

The main difference between conventional and synthetic oil lies in their molecular structure. Conventional oil is derived from crude oil and contains impurities, while synthetic oil is chemically engineered to have a more uniform molecular structure. This results in better performance and protection for your engine.

2. How do I know which viscosity grade is right for my vehicle?

The viscosity grade of oil is determined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and is based on the oil's flow at different temperatures. The recommended viscosity grade for your vehicle can be found in the owner's manual. It is important to follow this recommendation for optimal engine performance.

3. Can I mix different types or brands of oil?

It is not recommended to mix different types or brands of oil as they may have different additives and could potentially cause harm to your engine. Stick to using one type and brand of oil for best results.

4. How often should I change my oil?

The frequency of oil changes depends on various factors such as the type of oil used, driving habits, and the age of your vehicle. It is best to follow the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval, which can typically range from 3,000 to 10,000 miles.

5. Is it necessary to use high mileage oil for older vehicles?

High mileage oil is specifically designed for vehicles with over 75,000 miles on the odometer. It contains additives that help reduce oil consumption, prevent leaks, and protect engine components that may have worn over time. While it is not necessary to use high mileage oil, it can provide added benefits for older vehicles.