Pneumatics connectors -- types of threads and sizes

• Thread starter gowniak13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Threads
In summary, you don't have experience installing pneumatics systems, and you are not sure which fittings need to be replaced. You need to measure the OD of the fittings and pipes, and recognize the type of thread and size. You also need to measure the profile angle of the fittings to determine if they are British or NPT.
gowniak13
Hello guys, I need advice and helpI am a maintenance technician at food manufacturing place, my boss requested me to fix air leaks around machinery pointed by the external

energy usage survey.The problem is I don't have experience with pneumatics installations, most of the leaks are around connectors, fittings etc

there are places where i can stick a lot of ptfe tape and that does the job, but there are places where fittings are corroded and needs

to be changed and here is where my questions raisehow do i recognize type of threads and sizes usedsome air lines are in mm, some air pipeworks are inches, some are bsp, any guide? advice? do i measure inside or outside, its

very difficult for me as there are like 50 types of connectors, couplers, reducers and quick fittings used here and therewhat about pressure regulators ? some of them have cracked filter bowls, so I can't fix that, I could replace that, but its still the case

of proper size of thread, hose, pipework etcAnd I am going to be responsible for ordering parts :(

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you post a few pictures of the typical fittings and piping that you are working on? Also, do you have a pair of calipers that you can use to measure the OD of some of the pipes and fittings? Do you have a small ruler with fine inch and mm scales that you can use to measure the # of threads per inch/cm, etc.?

1635519233834.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Caliper_detail_view.jpeg

Hello Berkeman, unfortunately I don't have any photos just now

I do have caliper and its metric only same as tape, I think I understand now what I need to properly measure

Here's a thread and end connection identification guide. see attached .pdf file.

Attachments

• MS-13-77.PDF
    702.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Informative
Likes gmax137 and berkeman
gowniak13 said:
... how do i recognize type of threads and sizes used some air lines are in mm, some air pipeworks are inches, some are bsp, any guide? advice? do i measure inside or outside, ...
You are on a steep learning curve, and that experience goes on forever.

Compile a kit of reference examples for BSP and NPT.
Expect to find some UN and metric threads.

Because pipe threads are often tapered, measuring the diameter will not always identify the system.
I first measure the exact pitch in TPI = 8, 10, 11, 11½, 14, 18, 19, 26, 27, 28; or in mm.
It could then be;
BSP = 28, 19, 14, 11, 10, 8.
NPT = 27, 18, 14, 11½, 8.
or Brass = 26.

Since only 8 tpi and 14 tpi pipe threads are shared by BSP and NPT. I next measure the profile angle to see if it is the deep 55° British thread, or the shallower 60° which makes it NPT, UN, or ISO metric.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G

1. What are the common types of threads used in pneumatics connectors?

The most common types of threads used in pneumatics connectors are NPT (National Pipe Thread), BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper), and BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel) threads. NPT threads are commonly used in the United States, while BSPT and BSPP threads are more commonly used in Europe.

2. What is the difference between NPT and BSPT threads?

The main difference between NPT and BSPT threads is the angle of the thread. NPT threads have a 60 degree angle, while BSPT threads have a 55 degree angle. Additionally, NPT threads are tapered, meaning the diameter of the thread decreases towards the end, while BSPT threads are parallel, meaning the diameter remains the same throughout.

3. What are the most common sizes for pneumatics connectors?

The most common sizes for pneumatics connectors are 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". These sizes refer to the inner diameter of the connector and are typically used for different flow rates. 1/8" connectors are used for low flow rates, while 1/2" connectors are used for high flow rates.

4. Can different types of threads be used together in pneumatics connectors?

It is not recommended to use different types of threads together in pneumatics connectors. This can lead to leaks and potential damage to the equipment. It is best to use connectors with the same type of thread to ensure a secure and proper fit.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing pneumatics connectors?

In addition to thread type and size, other factors to consider when choosing pneumatics connectors include material, pressure rating, and temperature rating. It is important to choose a connector made of a compatible material for the specific application and to ensure it can withstand the pressure and temperature of the system it will be used in.