Olympiad question on destructive interference

• Thread starter Glenn G
  • Start date
Glenn G
1693070630781.png

Hello all, I have been working through a number of past Olympiad questions for fun. This one, though, I find very strange - even after looking at the answer i'm confused. I know when the path difference from the two speaker is lambda/2 you would get destructive interference (typical A level answer) - the answer given on the mark scheme doesn't even completely correlate with the question. I don't get the first marking point, also with the second marking point, 2 waves are collinear with the centre of the speaker, so this means that it is as if both speakers are sending waves from the centre point? BUT then there'd be no path difference and no destructive interference - would apprecate any help so I can understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question/answer appear (IMO) to be badly written for the following reasons:

1. The question seems to ask what “orientation of the radio” is needed for destructive interference. But the radio’s orientation is irrelevant.

2. The question asks for the “maximum wavelength ##l##”but the answer supplied is the minimum speaker separation. And a different symbol (##\lambda##) is used for wavelength.

3. The question asks about ‘complete destructive interference’. But (being picky) any destructive interference will not be complete due to amplitude differences between the two interfering waves

So things seem a bit muddled.

I’d guess the intended question is equivalent to this:

A and B are in-phase, point, single frequency wave sources separated by a distance ##d##.

a) In terms of ##d##, what it is maximum wavelength for destructive interference (2 waves meeting exactly in antiphase) to be possible?

b) For this maximum value of wavelength, where does destructive interference occur?

Minor edits.

Likes MatinSAR, DeBangis21 and berkeman
Glenn G said:
2 waves are collinear with the centre of the speaker, so this means that it is as if both speakers are sending waves from the centre point?
No, that's not what it says. It is saying that the paths of the waves are along the straight line through the two speakers.

Likes MatinSAR and Tom.G
Thanks Steve,

Ah so makes sense that if d is less than half a wavelength then at no point on that line between the 2 speakers can there be a point where there is complete destructive interference since they won’t ever be out of phase by half a cycle … ok if I’ve got that correct it makes sense now, certainly not clear to me from the question that that is what they were getting at,
Steve4Physics said:
The question/answer appear (IMO) to be badly written for the following reasons:

1. The question seems to ask what “orientation of the radio” is needed for destructive interference. But the radio’s orientation is irrelevant.

2. The question asks for the “maximum wavelength ##l##”but the answer supplied is the minimum speaker separation. And a different symbol (##\lambda##) is used for wavelength.

3. The question asks about ‘complete destructive interference’. But (being picky) any destructive interference will not be complete due to amplitude differences between the two interfering waves

So things seem a bit muddled.

I’d guess the intended question is equivalent to this:

A and B are in-phase, point, single frequency wave sources separated by a distance ##d##.

a) In terms of ##d##, what it is maximum wavelength for destructive interference (2 waves meeting exactly in antiphase) to be possible?

b) For this maximum value of wavelength, where does destructive interference occur?

Minor edits.

1. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease or complete elimination of the overall amplitude of the resulting wave.

2. How does destructive interference differ from constructive interference?

Destructive interference is the opposite of constructive interference, where two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet and combine to create a wave with a larger overall amplitude.

3. What causes destructive interference?

Destructive interference is caused by the superposition of two waves with the same frequency and amplitude, but with opposite phases. This means that when one wave is at its peak, the other is at its trough, resulting in cancellation.

4. Can destructive interference occur with any type of wave?

Yes, destructive interference can occur with any type of wave, including light waves, sound waves, and water waves. As long as two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet and have opposite phases, destructive interference can occur.

5. How is destructive interference used in practical applications?

Destructive interference is used in various technologies, such as noise-cancelling headphones, where sound waves are cancelled out to reduce background noise. It is also used in optical coatings to reduce reflections and in ultrasound imaging to create clearer images by eliminating unwanted waves.