One ball dropped, another ball launched

• Thread starter ConfusedMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary: I am using the 2012 edition of "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman. The answer is found in the back of the book in chapter 4, problem 4.22 (page 100). It says that the book is the 13th edition, but it's clearly not. I have been looking for a website that may have errata in case others had found errors and posted them, but I can't find one that has that information.In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions and equations for two balls dropped from different heights to collide in mid-air. The first part of the conversation focuses on finding the condition for the initial speed of the second ball in order for the
ConfusedMonkey

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from rest at height ##h_0## above the ground. At the same instant, a second ball is launched with speed ##v_0## straight up from the ground, at a point directly below where the other ball is dropped. (a) Find a condition on ##v_0## such that the two balls will collide mid-air. (b) Find an expression for the height at which they collide.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Attempted solution for (a): I think all that is required is that ##v_0 > 0##. As long as the velocity is positive then the ball that is launched upward will be in the air by the time it collides with the ball that was dropped. But the textbook gives as a solution that we must have ##v_0 > \sqrt{gh_0/2}## where ##g = 9.8 m/s^2##. What's wrong with my thinking?

Attempted solution for (b): Let ##x_{dropped}(t)## be the position function of the ball that's dropped. Then ##x_{dropped}(t) = \frac{g}{2}t^2 + 0(t) + h_0 = \frac{g}{2}t^2 + h_0##. Now let ##x_{launched}(t)## be the position function of the ball that is launched. Then ##x_{launched}(t) = \frac{g}{2}t^2 + v_0t + 0 = \frac{g}{2}t^2 + v_0t##.

I can find at what time the two balls collide by equating the two above equations and solving for ##t##:

##x_{dropped} = x_{launched}##
##h_0 = v_0t##,

which gives ##t = \frac{h_0}{v_0}##. Plugging this solution into either ##x_{dropped}## or ##x_{launched}## gives the height of the collision as ##\frac{g}{2}\big(\frac{h_0}{v_0}\big)^2##. But the textbook's solution is ##h_0 - \frac{gh_0^2}{2v_0}##.

Could someone please tell me why my answers are wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ConfusedMonkey said:
What's wrong with my thinking?
You need them to collide before the lower ball falls to the ground.

ConfusedMonkey said:
Plugging this solution into either ##x_{dropped} ## or ##x_{launched}## gives the height of the collision as ##\frac{g}{2}\big(\frac{h_0}{v_0}\big)^2##.
No it doesn't. Try those again.
You appear to have chosen g to be the upward acceleration due to gravity, making it g=-9.8m/s2. I have no problem with that, but most people make g as positive downwards, writing the acceleration as -g, so that g has a positive value.

ConfusedMonkey said:
I can find at what time the two balls collide by equating the two above equations and solving for ##t##:

##x_{dropped} = x_{launched}##
##h_0 = v_0t##

It's interesting that this equation is independent of ##g##. Why do you think that is?

In fact, it's just a simple equation for one ball moving towards a stationary ball.

haruspex said:
No it doesn't. Try those again.
You appear to have chosen g to be the upward acceleration due to gravity, making it g=-9.8m/s2. I have no problem with that, but most people make g as positive downwards, writing the acceleration as -g, so that g has a positive value.
I'm on my phone, so please excuse the no LaTeX... So choosing the natural orientation for my coordinate system, I get x_dropped = -gt^2/2 + v_0t and x_launched = -gt^2/2 + h_0. Setting them equal and solving for t gives me t = h_0/v_0. Plugging this into one of my original equations gives -gh_0/(2v_0^2) + h_0. This is very similar to the textbook's answer, but is still not the same. I can't see where I am going wrong.

@PeroK I am guessing that my solution for t is independent of g because both balls are undergoing the exact same acceleration (the acceleration caused by gravity)

ConfusedMonkey said:
I'm on my phone, so please excuse the no LaTeX... So choosing the natural orientation for my coordinate system, I get x_dropped = -gt^2/2 + v_0t and x_launched = -gt^2/2 + h_0. Setting them equal and solving for t gives me t = h_0/v_0. Plugging this into one of my original equations gives -gh_0/(2v_0^2) + h_0. This is very similar to the textbook's answer, but is still not the same. I can't see where I am going wrong.

You've simply not substituted ##t = \frac{h_0}{v_0}## correctly.

ConfusedMonkey said:
@PeroK I am guessing that my solution for t is independent of g because both balls are undergoing the exact same acceleration (the acceleration caused by gravity)

Yes, that's correct.

Sorry, typo. I meant to type -gh_0^2/(2v_0^2) + h_0, but this is still different than the textbook's answer (their v_0 is not squared in the denominator)

ConfusedMonkey said:
Sorry, typo. I meant to type -gh_0^2/(2v_0^2) + h_0, but this is still different than the textbook's answer (their v_0 is not squared in the denominator)

What answer are you talking about?

ConfusedMonkey said:
But the textbook's solution is ##h_0 - \frac{gh_0^2}{2v_0}##.

This textbook answer is clearly wrong.

Likes ConfusedMonkey
Thanks for the help. I thought their answer may have been wrong too but because I am new to physics I am not comfortable assuming that.

1. What is the concept of "One ball dropped, another ball launched"?

The concept of "One ball dropped, another ball launched" is a scientific experiment that involves dropping one ball from a certain height and launching another ball horizontally at the same time. The purpose of this experiment is to observe how the two balls interact with each other and to demonstrate the principles of motion and energy.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need two balls of different sizes and masses, a ruler or measuring tape, a flat surface, and a stopwatch. You may also need a partner to help you launch one of the balls at the same time the other is dropped.

3. What factors can affect the outcome of this experiment?

The outcome of this experiment can be affected by various factors such as the height from which the ball is dropped, the angle at which the ball is launched, the mass and size of the balls, air resistance, and the surface on which the balls are dropped and launched. It is important to keep these factors consistent to obtain accurate results.

4. What are the possible results of this experiment?

The possible results of this experiment include the two balls colliding, the launched ball overtaking the dropped ball, or the two balls landing at the same time. These results can demonstrate the principles of motion, such as acceleration and velocity, as well as the conservation of energy.

5. What can be learned from this experiment?

This experiment can teach us about the laws of motion and energy, specifically the concepts of acceleration, velocity, and conservation of energy. It also allows us to practice the scientific method by making observations, collecting data, and drawing conclusions based on the results. Additionally, this experiment can be used to demonstrate the effects of different variables on the outcome of an experiment.