One-way centrifugal clutch - seatbelt clutch

In summary, a one-way centrifugal clutch is a type of mechanical clutch that uses centrifugal force to engage and disengage power transmission from the engine to the transmission or other components. It works by utilizing weights or springs attached to the clutch hub and is commonly used in vehicles and machinery. A seatbelt clutch is often incorporated for safety purposes. The benefits of using a one-way centrifugal clutch include smoother power transmission, prevention of engine stalling, and reduced wear and tear on components. These clutches are commonly used in various applications such as motorcycles, lawn mowers, and industrial equipment.
humv3
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum here and have a question that is probably fairly easy for engineers to answer.

I'm searching for a clutch that provides the same functionality as a seat belt clutch, i.e. it rotates both directions at slow rpms but when pulled quickly in ONLY one of those directions, the clutch engages and doesn't allow rotation.

I think the correct term would be a one-way centrifugal clutch, which is like the one pictured here, http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/images/clen9.jpg" , but I'm not sure if there is a common clutch used in practice that accomplishes this.

I'm trying to replicate everything the seat belt clutch does but the clutch in my project will spin much faster than a seat belt clutch does, so the normal seat belt clutch won't work. Is there a common name for this type of clutch and can it be purchased?

Thanks for your help. I'm waiting to see if someone who practices in this area will know a special term or easy answer to my problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your question! It sounds like you are looking for a one-way centrifugal clutch, also known as a one-way sprag clutch. This type of clutch allows for rotation in one direction at slow speeds, but engages and locks in the other direction when a certain threshold of speed is reached.

One-way centrifugal clutches are commonly used in various applications such as lawn mowers, go-karts, and industrial machinery. They can be purchased from various manufacturers and suppliers, both online and in stores.

I hope this helps with your project. Good luck!

What is a one-way centrifugal clutch?

A one-way centrifugal clutch is a type of mechanical clutch that operates using centrifugal force. It is commonly used in vehicles and machinery to engage and disengage power transmission from the engine to the transmission or other components.

How does a one-way centrifugal clutch work?

A one-way centrifugal clutch works by utilizing a series of weights or springs that are attached to the clutch hub. When the engine is running at a certain speed, the weights or springs will rotate with it and create centrifugal force, which causes the clutch shoes to engage with the clutch drum. This allows for power to be transmitted from the engine to the transmission. When the engine speed decreases, the centrifugal force decreases and the clutch disengages, stopping the power transmission.

What is the purpose of a seatbelt clutch in a one-way centrifugal clutch?

A seatbelt clutch is a safety feature that is often incorporated into one-way centrifugal clutches. It is designed to prevent the clutch from engaging at high engine speeds, which can cause the vehicle or machinery to suddenly accelerate. Instead, the seatbelt clutch allows for the gradual engagement of the clutch, providing a smoother and safer operation.

What are the benefits of using a one-way centrifugal clutch?

There are several benefits to using a one-way centrifugal clutch. First, it allows for smoother and more efficient power transmission from the engine to the transmission. It also prevents engine stalling and reduces wear and tear on the engine and transmission components. Additionally, the incorporation of a seatbelt clutch adds an extra layer of safety to the system.

What are some common applications of one-way centrifugal clutches?

One-way centrifugal clutches are commonly used in a variety of vehicles and machinery, such as motorcycles, lawn mowers, snowmobiles, and go-karts. They are also used in industrial equipment, such as pumps, generators, and conveyor systems. In general, any application that requires smooth and efficient power transmission from an engine to a driven component can benefit from a one-way centrifugal clutch.