Online graphing calculator for dosages?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of repeat doses of medications on the body's drug levels and the possibility of using online software to graph these effects. It is mentioned that Wolfram Alpha may be able to do this, but may require some tutorial. The conversation also touches on the importance of other biochemical parameters and the potential challenges in creating a reliable app for tracking drug levels.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Interested in the curves of medical dosages, is there a graph program?
I've become fascinated with how repeat doses of medications affect the body's level of the drugs (see sample diagram).

Is there some sort of online software grapher that takes params such as half-life and plots a graph?

I guess this is exactly what Wolphram Alpha does isn't it? I tried it once but it's over my head without a bit of a tutorial.
1669577236786.png

Likes BillTre
Biology news on Phys.org
A quick side note. I do not know of an app, BTW.

Half life of drugs is important but there are other biochemical "parameters" that may affect the dose response curve, or things like drug titer
Example Eliquis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3684191/
As the titer is repeatedly increased with repeating doses, a threshold is eventually reached where some increased carryover between doses flattens out the the response curve. I guess you could consider it to be an extended half life.

The point being: for an app to be reliable there may be a need for complex set of program run-time parameters for handling exceptions -- like drugs that do interesting things when taken over long periods. @Godot_ can give you more information.

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913
Thanks, yeah. More an academic interest; theres certainly too many factors that affect uptake and expulsion to make any practical use of it.

1. How does an online graphing calculator for dosages work?

An online graphing calculator for dosages works by inputting the desired dosage and the patient's weight or other relevant factors. The calculator then uses mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the correct dosage and graph it on a visual representation.

2. Is an online graphing calculator for dosages accurate?

Yes, an online graphing calculator for dosages is accurate. It uses precise mathematical calculations and is regularly updated to ensure accuracy.

3. Can an online graphing calculator for dosages be used for all types of medications?

No, an online graphing calculator for dosages is specifically designed for medications that have a recommended dosage based on a patient's weight or other factors. It may not be suitable for medications with fixed dosages.

4. Are there any limitations to using an online graphing calculator for dosages?

There may be limitations to using an online graphing calculator for dosages, such as not being able to account for individual variations in metabolism or other factors that may affect medication absorption and effectiveness. It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized dosing recommendations.

5. Can an online graphing calculator for dosages be used for pediatric dosing?

Yes, an online graphing calculator for dosages can be used for pediatric dosing as long as the medication has a recommended dosage based on weight or other factors. However, it is important to consult with a pediatrician for accurate and safe dosing recommendations for children.