Op-Amp Trick Questions: Formulas for Av and LED Circuit Solutions

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary: On the other hand, you also have the potential at Vout, so simply divide both sides by Vout to get the expression for potential. In summary, the current through R1 is 1 mA and the potential at Vout is 2 volts.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4082/vddvss.jpg

I'm asked to

1) Develop a formula for

Av = Vout/Vin

And

2) If the LED was flipped the other way, what must we do for for the rest of the circuit so current would still flow through it

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I'm really confused about this one. I thought to just do:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6084/avavavv.jpg

2) You just turn the op-amp from non-inverter to inverter

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Somethings fishy about your derivation for Av.

Some questions to ask yourself:

- What potential will appear at the op-amp's inverting input?
- What current will flow through R1 (and in what direction)? Where must that current come from?
- So what current will flow through R2 (and in what direction)?

Given the current flowing through R2 and the potential at the op-amp inputs, what then must be the potential at the op-amp's output? (KVL)

Note that the op-amp is powered by a dual voltage supply. What are the limits on the possible range of Vout? How might you alter the polarity of Vout without changing the basic layout of the circuit? (Hint: how does vout depend upon Vin?)

Somethings fishy about your derivation for Av.

Should ignore the denominator - should be just Vin
- What potential will appear at the op-amp's inverting input?

2 volts

- What current will flow through R1 (and in what direction)? Where must that current come from?

At non-inverting?

Vout = R2 x Vin / R1 + R2 = 1.66 V
Vout = 1.66 volts

Using KVL:

1.66 -R2I1 - R1I1 = 0

I1 =0.1333 mA

The current will come from the op-amp and flow towards the ground.
- So what current will flow through R2 (and in what direction)?

Same current, I1.

The current will come from the op-amp and flow towards the ground as well.

Given the current flowing through R2 and the potential at the op-amp inputs, what then must be the potential at the op-amp's output? (KVL)

I did it via the non-inverter formula already

Note that the op-amp is powered by a dual voltage supply. What are the limits on the possible range of Vout? How might you alter the polarity of Vout without changing the basic layout of the circuit? (Hint: how does vout depend upon Vin?)

The limits are +18 volts -18 volts... I can alter the polarity by making the limits to be -8 volts and -18 volts

I think you're complicating the analysis unnecessarily :smile: If the potential at the inverting input is Vin, what is the potential across R1? Then use Ohm's law to find the current through R1 (in terms of Vin). Using that current, use Ohm's law again to find the potential across R2 (in terms of Vin). If you know the potentials across both resistors you can find the potential at Vout.

Changing the op-amps power supply values isn't going to be helpful, since Vout is trying to satisfy the requirements of the feedback network and Vin. There's a niftier way to affect the change. Consider what you might do treating Vin as something you can play with...

Changing the op-amps power supply values isn't going to be helpful, since Vout is trying to satisfy the requirements of the feedback network and Vin. There's a niftier way to affect the change. Consider what you might do treating Vin as something you can play with...

Ahh I set Vin = -2 insteaf of +2

I think you're complicating the analysis unnecessarily If the potential at the inverting input is Vin, what is the potential across R1? Then use Ohm's law to find the current through R1 (in terms of Vin). Using that current, use Ohm's law again to find the potential across R2 (in terms of Vin). If you know the potentials across both resistors you can find the potential at Vout.

VR1 = 2 volts
R1 = 2k

IR1 = VR1/R1 = 2/2000 = 1 mA

Femme_physics said:
Ahh I set Vin = -2 insteaf of +2
Yup. Easy-peasy.

VR1 = 2 volts
R1 = 2k

IR1 = VR1/R1 = 2/2000 = 1 mA
Keep the calculation in terms of a variable Vin. You can also keep the resistors as variables until the end if you want Av as a general formula. You can then plug in the resistor values to find Av for this particular circuit.

So, what's the expression for the current? Then, what's an expression for the potential at Vout?

Femme_physics said:
IR1 = Vin/R1

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2848/vouts.jpg

I'm not sure how to connect all that to a single formula though

Well, you've got Vin factored out in the first line above, simply divide both sides by Vin so that you have the expression for Vout/Vin...

Vout/Vin = (1+R2/R1)

Femme_physics said:
Vout/Vin = (1+R2/R1)

Yes, that looks good :smile:

Thanks gneill, I appreciate the mentoring. They're going to have some funky questions at the final electronics test this year and trying to get ready for them... appreciate your time and knowledge

Femme_physics said:
Thanks gneill, I appreciate the mentoring. They're going to have some funky questions at the final electronics test this year and trying to get ready for them... appreciate your time and knowledge

It's always a pleasure to help. Good luck in your test!

Thanks!

Related to Op-Amp Trick Questions: Formulas for Av and LED Circuit Solutions

1. What is an Op-Amp trick question?

An Op-Amp trick question is a type of question that involves manipulating or exploiting the properties of an operational amplifier (Op-Amp) in order to find the correct answer. These questions are commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to test problem-solving skills and understanding of Op-Amp circuits.

2. How do Op-Amp trick questions work?

Op-Amp trick questions typically involve considering the ideal properties of an Op-Amp, such as infinite input impedance and zero output impedance, and using these properties to simplify the circuit and find the correct answer. They often require creative thinking and careful analysis of the circuit.

3. What are some common types of Op-Amp trick questions?

Some common types of Op-Amp trick questions include inverting and non-inverting amplifier configurations, voltage follower circuits, and summing and difference amplifier circuits. These questions can also involve op-amp characteristics such as slew rate, gain-bandwidth product, and noise considerations.

4. Are Op-Amp trick questions used in real-life scenarios?

Yes, Op-Amp trick questions are commonly used in real-life scenarios, particularly in engineering and scientific fields where knowledge of Op-Amp circuits is necessary. They can also be used in job interviews and exams to evaluate an individual's problem-solving abilities and understanding of Op-Amp principles.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Op-Amp trick questions?

To improve your skills in solving Op-Amp trick questions, it is important to have a strong understanding of Op-Amp principles and circuit analysis techniques. Practice solving different types of Op-Amp circuits and familiarize yourself with the ideal properties of an Op-Amp. Additionally, studying past examples of Op-Amp trick questions and their solutions can help you develop strategies for approaching these types of questions.