Determining if a pipe is open or closed from given the resonant frequencies

In summary: So the frequency difference is half the fundamental frequency.In summary, the pipe in question resonates at successive frequencies of 540 Hz, 450 Hz, and 350 Hz. Based on the given information, it can be determined that the pipe is an open pipe with a closed end (a fixed and free end system), as the frequencies are odd number multiples of the fundamental frequency and the difference between the frequencies is the fundamental frequency divided by two. This information also implies that the pipe has a fundamental frequency of approximately 100 Hz.
AAAA

Homework Statement

A pipe resonates at successive frequencies of 540 Hz, 450 Hz, and 350Hz. Is this an open or a closed pipe?

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

My assumption is that because the harmonics of an open pipe are odd number multiples of the fundamental frequency (1f, 3f, 5f), and ∵ the difference between the frequencies is the fundamental frequency (I think?). The fundamental frequency is ∴ around 100 (?). And ∵ the frequencies go up by ~100 each time, it's an open pipe, as it's harmonics are even number multiples (1f, 2f, 4f, 6f).

I don't think my assumptions are correct. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: Is it possible to determine the fundamental frequency from the given frequencies? I'm beginning to think that the fundamental frequency is the difference between those frequencies, divided by two. Because to get from on harmonic to the next, we multiply by two to get from one freq to the next, with the exception of the even number multiples(1f→2f).

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it even possible to determine if it's open or closed based on the given information? I imagine it would be easier if they told you which harmonics those are, so the fundamental frequency could be determined, and from that information determine whether pipe is closed or open.

AAAA said:
the harmonics of an open pipe are odd number multiples of the fundamental frequency (1f, 3f, 5f)
Yes, because the number of wavelengths goes 1/4, 3/4, 5/4...
AAAA said:
an open pipe, as it's harmonics are even number multiples (1f, 2f, 4f, 6f).
I assume you meant to write 'closed pipe' here. Anyway, that list is wrong. Consider the numbers of wavelengths.
AAAA said:
the fundamental frequency is the difference between those frequencies, divided by two
Right, so what do you get for the fundamental frequency? What multiples of that are the given frequencies?
AAAA said:
Is it even possible to determine if it's open or closed based on the given information?
Yes, because you are told these are successive harmonics.

Well, 450-350= 100
100/2 = 50

50*7 = 350
50*9 = 450
50*11 = 550 ≈ 540

∵ I used odd number multiples to get that value, it must be a open pipe with a closed end (a fixed and free end system), it can't be an open pipe (with two free ends) because then the successive frequencies would be 50 apart, no?

And a pipe with two free ends is 1f, 2f, 3f, 4f... Right? Which is the same as a pipe with two fixed ends?

AAAA said:
Well, 450-350= 100
100/2 = 50

50*7 = 350
50*9 = 450
50*11 = 550 ≈ 540

∵ I used odd number multiples to get that value, it must be a open pipe with a closed end (a fixed and free end system), it can't be an open pipe (with two free ends) because then the successive frequencies would be 50 apart, no?

And a pipe with two free ends is 1f, 2f, 3f, 4f... Right? Which is the same as a pipe with two fixed ends?
That all looks right.

Thanks! I had neglected to do the math for the frequencies and just looked it up online, I guess I interpreted it wrong. I just did the math for the frequencies, and now it all make sense, thanks again!

I'm wondering that if you don't yet know if the pipe is open-closed or open-open why you would divide the difference between the two successive frequencies by two? With this example, you need frequency values of 350Hz, 450Hz etc so it makes sense. Would it not be possible to have successive frequencies where m = 1, 2, 3 and m = 1, 3, 5 would work? i.e. you wouldn't be able to conclude whether the pipe was open-open or open-closed?

Last edited:
StillAnotherDave said:
I'm wondering that if you don't yet know if the pipe is open-closed or open-open why you would divide the difference between the two successive frequencies by two? With this example, you need frequency values of 350Hz, 450Hz etc so it makes sense. Would it not be possible to have successive frequencies where m = 1, 2, 3 and m = 1, 3, 5 would work? i.e. you wouldn't be able to conclude whether the pipe was open-open or open-closed?
Not sure I understand your question.
If you know they are successive frequencies then the differences are ##\Delta f=\frac c{2L}##.
For a half open pipe, ##\frac{f_n}{\Delta f}=n+\frac 12##, so given three successive frequencies not all will be integers. For a doubly open or doubly closed pipe, all three will be integers.

haruspex said:
Not sure I understand your question.
If you know they are successive frequencies then the differences are ##\Delta f=\frac c{2L}##.
For a half open pipe, ##\frac{f_n}{\Delta f}=n+\frac 12##, so given three successive frequencies not all will be integers. For a doubly open or doubly closed pipe, all three will be integers.
why did you divide 100 by 2? What does that represent?

mathloverr said:
why did you divide 100 by 2? What does that represent?
The pipe has length L. Being half open, at each resonance it contains some number of half wavelengths plus one quarter wavelength.
##\lambda_n(\frac n2+\frac 14)=L##
##\nu_n=\frac c{\lambda_n}=\frac cL(\frac n2+\frac 14)##
In particular, the fundamental is ##\nu_0=\frac cL(\frac 14)##
##\nu_{n+1}-\nu_n=\frac c{2L}=2\nu_0##

1. How do you determine the resonant frequencies of a pipe?

The resonant frequencies of a pipe can be determined by using a device called a spectrometer, which measures the sound waves produced by the pipe. The spectrometer displays the frequency at which the sound waves are most intense, indicating the resonant frequency.

2. What is the difference between an open and closed pipe?

An open pipe is one that has both ends open, allowing for the sound waves to travel in and out freely. A closed pipe is one that has one end closed, causing the sound waves to reflect off the closed end and travel back through the pipe.

3. How do you use resonant frequencies to determine if a pipe is open or closed?

If the pipe is open, the resonant frequencies will be odd-numbered (1, 3, 5, etc.) and if the pipe is closed, the resonant frequencies will be even-numbered (2, 4, 6, etc.). This is because the open end of the pipe allows for the sound waves to travel in both directions, while the closed end only allows for them to travel in one direction.

4. Can other factors affect the resonant frequencies of a pipe?

Yes, the material and length of the pipe can also affect the resonant frequencies. Thicker or longer pipes will have lower resonant frequencies, while thinner or shorter pipes will have higher resonant frequencies.

5. How accurate is using resonant frequencies to determine if a pipe is open or closed?

While using resonant frequencies is a reliable method for determining if a pipe is open or closed, it is not always 100% accurate. Other factors such as temperature and air pressure can also affect the resonant frequencies and may need to be taken into consideration for more precise results.