Open University - BSc Mathematics and Physics?

In summary: Independent, thanks for the great data point.Do you mind me asking what Universities accepted you as an Open University Graduate in Physics? Do you think there is any chance of being accepted directly into a PhD program?
Gimblestitch
Good, bad or indifferent? Any ideas or suggestions?

Gimblestitch

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm kind of in the same boat, kind of not. I don't believe getting a second degree in math is bad as long as it doesn't interfere with actually getting a degree in physics, or vice versa. In fact it might even be beneficial. As one of my graduate physics mentor stated: "You can never have too much math."

Hey Gimblestitch.

What exactly do you want to aim for regarding study and (possible) future endeavors?

chiro said:
Hey Gimblestitch.

What exactly do you want to aim for regarding study and (possible) future endeavors?
I am interested in personal edification mostly.

Gimblestitch said:
That is something that Open University is good for. Some good objective programs are available through Open University systems but using such a method to earn a bachelor's degree is or seems unusual. More likely you could find a certificate program in some of these systems. You are more likely to find your undergraduate program in a regular university admission situation.

I think some good questions to ask would be what would motivate you to start and what would get in your way to not make you finish.

If you have a good idea of what makes you start and a good idea of what would prevent you from finishing then you will understand pretty well how likely you are to get through something.

Likes Gimblestitch
Gimblestitch said:

You may as well go for an Open Degree. No need to restrict your choice of modules and as far as I can tell, the name of the degree makes no practical difference.

I would highly recommend the mathematics and physics modules at the Open University. I did my first degree there (BSc Open) and was subsequently accepted into (traditional) physics Masters programmes at top universities. I also know that I am not an exception.

Last edited:
Likes RahSuh, Tenacious38 and Gimblestitch
Independent said:
You may as well go for an Open Degree. No need to restrict your choice of modules and as far as I can tell, the name of the degree makes no practical difference.

I would highly recommend the mathematics and physics modules at the Open University. I did my first degree there (BSc Open) and was subsequently accepted into (traditional) physics Masters programmes at top universities. I also know that I am not an exception.

Independent, thanks for the great data point. Do you mind me asking what Universities accepted you as an Open University Graduate in Physics? Do you think there is any chance of being accepted directly into a PhD program?

1. What is the Open University BSc Mathematics and Physics program?

The Open University BSc Mathematics and Physics program is an undergraduate degree that combines the study of mathematical principles and theories with the laws of physics. It is designed for students who have a strong interest in both subjects and want to pursue a career in fields such as engineering, research, or teaching.

2. How is the program structured and how long does it take to complete?

The program is typically structured over a period of 3-4 years, depending on the study pace of the student. It consists of a combination of core modules, elective modules, and a final project or dissertation. The first year focuses on building a strong foundation in both mathematics and physics, while the following years allow students to specialize in specific areas of interest.

3. Can I study this program online?

Yes, the Open University offers the BSc Mathematics and Physics program as a distance learning course. This means that students can study from anywhere in the world, at their own pace, and with the support of online resources and tutors. However, there may be some practical components that require attendance at a physical location, such as laboratory sessions.

4. What are the entry requirements for this program?

The Open University requires students to have a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent to enroll in the BSc Mathematics and Physics program. Additionally, students should have a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as good critical thinking and analytical skills. Some modules may also have specific prerequisites that need to be met.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing this program?

Graduates of the Open University BSc Mathematics and Physics program are well-equipped for a wide range of career opportunities. Some common career paths include working in research and development, engineering, data analysis, and teaching. This degree also provides a strong foundation for pursuing further studies at the postgraduate level in fields such as theoretical physics, astrophysics, or applied mathematics.