Opengl and java - jogl installation

In summary, the individual is struggling to set up OpenGL with Java using the JOGL binding. They have spent hours searching for the necessary files and setting up the correct folders and variables, but have been unsuccessful. They are feeling overwhelmed and are seeking assistance. They are using Windows 7 and would like to know what sources to use, what version of software packages to use, and what errors they may encounter during the installation process.
matiasmorant
i'm trying to learn opengl with java (jogl binding), but there is no way i can set up things to work appropiately. I've spent hours trying to find the right files to download, and put them in the right folders and set the 'path' variables and so on.... but i couldn't get a success in hours, it's getting me dizzy. could you help me?

I use windows 7

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
If you could, please provide the following:
* What sources are you using for your setup? A link to a tutorial?
* What version of the software packages?
* What errors are you getting when doing the install?

1. What is JOGL and how does it relate to Java and OpenGL?

JOGL (Java OpenGL) is a Java binding for the OpenGL API, which allows Java developers to use OpenGL within their applications. It provides a set of Java classes that correspond to the native OpenGL API, making it easier to use OpenGL with Java.

2. How do I install JOGL?

There are a few different ways to install JOGL, but the most common method is to use a build tool such as Maven or Gradle. You can also manually download the JOGL JAR files and add them to your project's classpath.

3. Are there any system requirements for using JOGL?

Yes, JOGL requires a graphics card that supports OpenGL 2.0 or higher. It also requires Java 1.4 or higher and a compatible operating system (such as Windows, Mac OS, or Linux).

4. Can JOGL be used with other Java libraries or frameworks?

Yes, JOGL can be used with other Java libraries and frameworks. It is often used in conjunction with other computer graphics libraries such as JOAL (Java OpenAL) or JMonkeyEngine.

5. Are there any tutorials or resources available for learning how to use JOGL?

Yes, there are many tutorials and resources available for learning how to use JOGL. The official JOGL website (http://jogamp.org/jogl/www/) offers a user guide, API documentation, and code samples. There are also various online tutorials, books, and forums dedicated to JOGL and Java game development.