Opening the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles

In summary, there have been recent news stories about using focused ultrasound and collapsing bubbles to open the blood-brain barrier and deliver drugs for brain tumor treatment. The speaker was involved in the early stages of this project, focusing on theory and simulations, and wrote a blog post about it. The blog post has received positive feedback.
klotza
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
There have been some stories in the news lately about using focused ultrasound and collapsing bubbles to open the blood-brain barrier and deliver drugs to treat a brain tumour. e.g. here

I was actually involved in the early stages of this project, working on theory and simulations. I wrote a post about the project and my work in it.

http://klotza.blogspot.com/2015/11/bursting-bubbles-breach-blood-brain.html

Likes 1oldman2, Greg Bernhardt and S.G. Janssens
Biology news on Phys.org
klotza said:
There have been some stories in the news lately about using focused ultrasound and collapsing bubbles to open the blood-brain barrier and deliver drugs to treat a brain tumour. e.g. here

I was actually involved in the early stages of this project, working on theory and simulations. I wrote a post about the project and my work in it.

http://klotza.blogspot.com/2015/11/bursting-bubbles-breach-blood-brain.html
Interesting stuff! Thanks.
Blogger Bequeaths Belated Boasts
LOL :smile:

Thanks for posting this stuff, really worth reading it.

1. How does opening the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles work?

Opening the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles involves using microscopic gas bubbles to temporarily disrupt the tight junctions between the cells that line the blood vessels in the brain. This allows for drugs or other substances to pass through the barrier and reach the brain.

2. What is the purpose of opening the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles?

The purpose of opening the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles is to allow for the delivery of therapeutic agents or diagnostic substances to the brain that would otherwise be unable to cross the barrier. This can potentially improve the treatment of brain disorders and diseases.

3. Are there any risks associated with opening the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles?

While opening the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles has shown promise in research studies, there are still potential risks that need to be addressed. These include potential damage to surrounding brain tissue and the potential for the delivered substances to cause side effects. Further research is needed to fully understand and mitigate these risks.

4. What types of substances can be delivered across the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles?

A variety of substances can potentially be delivered across the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles, including drugs, enzymes, antibodies, and imaging agents. However, the size and properties of the substances may affect their ability to cross the barrier and reach the brain.

5. What are the potential applications of opening the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles?

Opening the blood-brain barrier with collapsing bubbles has potential applications in the treatment of brain disorders and diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, brain tumors, and Parkinson's disease. It may also have applications in drug delivery for psychiatric disorders and brain injuries. However, more research is needed to fully understand and utilize this technique in a clinical setting.