Operating a portable ultrasound machine in -30 degrees C

In summary, the group plans to conduct a high-altitude field study on cardiopulmonary function assesed by ultrasound on Aconcagua summit in near 7000 meters altitude. Reports say it will be somewhere around -20 to -30 degrees celsius on the summit. This might bring about issues with the ultrasound-equipment.
Louis Lind Plesner
Dear friends.

I am a cardiovascular health researcher writing on behalf of my research team based in Copenhagen, Denmark. We plan to conduct a high-altitude field study on cardiopulmonary function assesed by ultrasound on Aconcagua summit in near 7000 meters altitude. Reports say it will be somewhere around -20 to -30 degrees celsius on the summit. This might brings about issues with the ultrasound-equipment.

1) Can you turn on a computer and operate it in these freezing temperatures?
2) Will the battery life (Li-ion) be affected in these temperatures?
3) Can there be a problem with low air pressure when operating a computer?
4) What about the LCD display?

Some technical data on the machine that I have:
Voltage: 100-240
Watt: 130
BTU: 3800
Monitor: 15,7'' LCD display
Fuse: 10 A
Recommended temperature: 3-30 degrees C
Recommended air pressure: 700-1060 hPa
Humidity: 30-80%
93/42/EEC: Class IIa
IEC/EN 60601-1: Class 1, type BF/CF
CISPR: Group 1, Class A

I am very grateful for any kind of help

Computer science news on Phys.org
1. Depends on the computer. The specs will tell you. Many, perhaps most, will not.
2. Battery life will be terrible.

I'm no expert but I have operated a lot of computers in low temperature since I'm an amateur astronomer who lives in Sweden.
1. The device that fails to start in the cold is usually mechanical hard-drives. The next thing to fail would probably be the fans if the lubricants gets too cold. Electronics on the other hand like the cold so make sure to use an SSD.
2. Agree with Vanadium 50.
3. Computers are air cooled so yes. Cold temps might compensate for low pressure but I have never run a computer much above 2000 m and it wasn't very cold.
4. LCD displays don't like the cold, the LSD display on my telescope controller becomes unusable at -20C due to extremely slow update rate (several seconds - there are actually 3rd party electrical heating sleeves availible). LCD is however a catch-all of many technologies that have different properties. The display on my iPhone for example becomes sluggish and dim around the same temperature but nowhere near as bad. Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display#Disadvantages

Last edited:
Very low temperature may affect the transducer as well. How long will you need? Can you put in an insulated enclosure with packets of phase change material?

Is it small enough to fit under an oversized jacket?

BoB

1. Can a portable ultrasound machine function in extreme temperatures like -30 degrees C?

Yes, most portable ultrasound machines are designed to function in a wide range of temperatures, including extreme cold temperatures like -30 degrees C. However, it is important to check the specific model's specifications to ensure its suitability for use in such low temperatures.

2. Will the quality of the ultrasound images be affected by the extreme cold temperature?

In general, extreme cold temperatures do not significantly affect the quality of ultrasound images. However, it is important to ensure that the machine is properly insulated and protected from condensation to prevent any potential damage to the equipment.

3. How should I prepare the portable ultrasound machine for use in -30 degrees C?

Prior to using the machine in extreme cold temperatures, it is important to allow the machine to acclimatize to the temperature by keeping it in a cool environment for a few hours. Additionally, make sure to use a protective cover or case to protect the machine from the cold and to prevent any condensation from forming.

4. Are there any special precautions I should take when using the portable ultrasound machine in -30 degrees C?

Some precautions to take when using the machine in extreme cold temperatures include keeping the machine away from direct contact with snow or ice, avoiding sudden temperature changes, and regularly checking the battery life as extreme cold can drain the battery more quickly.

5. Is it safe to transport the portable ultrasound machine in -30 degrees C?

Most portable ultrasound machines are designed to withstand transportation in extreme cold temperatures. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for transporting the machine and to allow it to warm up to room temperature before use to prevent any potential damage.

Back