Operating Range Clarification

• Thread starter PhysicsTest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary: In a switch-mode power supply, for example, the output voltage can be varied continuously, but the input voltage is limited to a certain range. If the input voltage is higher than the switching threshold, the power supply switches from the output to the input stage, and vice versa. If the input voltage is too low, the power supply cuts off the power to the output stage and switches to the input stage.Basically, the nominal operating range of a power supply is the range over which it is designed to operate, and the range over which it is capable of operating may be less than the nominal operating range.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
Want to understand the operating voltage and the nominal voltage
I have this doubt suppose a i have a board (B1) which operates in the range from 36V - 90V and the nominal operating range is 72V. I have another requirement (R1) with operating range 36V - 56V and with nominal operating range of 48V but functionally same as B1. So, can i use the board B1 for R1 requirement without any modifications? What is the significance of the nominal operating range in this case 72V and 48V? I am struggling to understand.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The range of B1 is from 36 V to 90 V, with a normal operating point (not range) of 72 V.
The range of R1 is from 36 V to 56 V, with a normal operating point (not range) of 48 V.
You should be able to run them both from 48 V.
But examine the specs of B1 to find out if it must be derated when run on the lower voltage.

When you have to operate an electronics circuit board over larger voltage range, will the size of the components inside the board changes. How the design basically looks like, first they will consider the operating point, design the complete circuit then see if that component works for the entire range of operation? or it is only the input section components will change like regulator etc, to accommodate the operating range and the components inside the board will not change?

Anything is possible. You should not have to change components.
You cannot expect more than a general answer so long as B1 and R1 are unidentified.

PhysicsTest said:
When you have to operate an electronics circuit board over larger voltage range, will the size of the components inside the board changes. How the design basically looks like, first they will consider the operating point, design the complete circuit then see if that component works for the entire range of operation? or it is only the input section components will change like regulator etc, to accommodate the operating range and the components inside the board will not change?
Have you studied switching power supply design yet? That is the main consideration in your question, I think (but I'm not sure, since the question is defined in kind of a strange way).

The main consideration in the power supply design to accommodate the input voltage range is the duty cycle of the switching power supply. Depending on the topology of the switching power supply circuit, there are limitations on the variation of the duty cycle of the switching. The input-to-output voltage ratio of such circuits depends on the duty cycle of the switching action.

1. What is an operating range?

An operating range refers to the range of values within which a system or device can function properly. It is typically defined by specific parameters such as temperature, pressure, or voltage.

2. Why is operating range clarification important?

Operating range clarification is important because it ensures that a system or device is used within its intended parameters. This can prevent damage to the equipment and ensure optimal performance.

3. How is operating range clarification determined?

Operating range clarification is determined through testing and analysis of the system or device. This involves measuring its performance under various conditions and identifying the range of values within which it operates effectively.

4. Can the operating range of a system change over time?

Yes, the operating range of a system can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, environmental changes, or modifications to the system itself. It is important to regularly reassess the operating range to ensure it is still accurate.

5. What happens if a system is used outside of its operating range?

If a system is used outside of its operating range, it may not function properly and could potentially lead to damage or failure. It is important to follow the specified operating range to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the system.