Operating the SMD FX4100 in Win XP - processor speed question

In summary, the conversation discusses a new build with a FX4100 processor that is running at a lower speed of 1.57GHz due to hardware stepping for power-saving purposes. However, there is a discrepancy in the listed L2 cache size, with the chip specs stating 4MB but only 2MB being recognized by the system. The speaker recommends using CPU-Z for accurate information and suggests disabling hardware stepping in the BIOS for full power usage. This information is appreciated and the speaker confirms the CPU speed and discovers the missing L2 cache information using CPU-Z. Overall, the speaker is satisfied with the program and its capabilities.
DHF
I just did a new build and I am waiting on my Win 7 disc to arrive. in the meanwhile I have transplanted my old drive with XP on it. everything boots fine and I get no errors. When I check the properties under my computer it correctly IDs the processor name however it only lists the speed as 1.57GHz even though the listed speed of the chip is 3.6GHz. The next day I upgraded an XP machine at work and installed the FX4100, and again it lists the speed at 1.57GHz. is this due to the limits of a 32bit OS? is it a limitation specific to Win XP?

On a similar note when I do a more in depth Diagnostic of the chip it lists each of the 4 cores as fully functioning however the stats lists the L2 cache as 2MB. The chip specifications on AMD's website list the L2 cache is 4MB. are the specs wrong or do I need to unlock something on my chip? or is this again a limitation of the OS?

any insights would be appreciated.

Don

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Download CPU-Z from cpuid http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.61-32bits-en.zip

This will give you accurate information about your CPU, motherboard, ram ect.

There is nothing wrong with your cpu, it runs at 1.57ghz as a downclock to save power when it is not in use, (stepping is what this is usually referred to)

The 2mb of cache however, i would personally run CPU-Z and tripple check that it is correct

The only limit's i can think of for a 32bit OS is the 4gb of ram. 1tb hard drives(1.5tb and higher do not work) win xp only.

You can disable the hardware stepping in your Bios when you first turn on your PC, this will ensure it is using full power even when you are not using it, in windows it will still state your processor is running at 1.57ghz although if you check cpuz it will show the correct speed of which it is currently running at.

i hope i have helped you understand what it is that your computer is doing when your back is turned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link to that utility. personally I use Speccy from Piriform, this sounds a lot like that but I will give it a shot anyway, never hurts to have two different sets of tools.

Thank you for letting me know about the stepping, that makes sense, and personally I don't mind the CPU taking a break when I am not working, as long as it brings it's A game when I have a dozen programs going at once :)

I just ran CPU-Z. a very nice program, lots of details that speccy was missing. In fact it shows what Speccy was missing about the L2 Cache, it is indeed 4MBs but its broken up into (2) 2MB sections, Speccy only saw the first module and that is all it reported.

Thank you again for introducing me to CPU-Z, I think I will get a lot of use out of it.

PS. ok CPU speed tested and confirmed. I just opened CPU-Z and looked at the speed, it was idling at 1.4GHz. I opened Photoshop,Bridge, Light room, Dreamweaver,Outlook,Notebook and Firefox simultaneously and the CPU jumped to 3.6GHz for about 5 seconds, then stepped back down when the programs where loaded. very nice indeed.

Last edited:

1. What is the processor speed of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP?

The processor speed of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP is 3.6 GHz.

2. Can the processor speed of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP be overclocked?

Yes, the processor speed of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP can be overclocked. However, it is important to note that overclocking can potentially damage the processor and void the warranty.

3. How does the processor speed affect the performance of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP?

The processor speed directly affects the overall performance of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP. A higher processor speed means faster processing and better performance.

4. Is the processor speed the only factor that determines the performance of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP?

No, the processor speed is not the only factor that determines the performance of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP. Other factors such as the amount of RAM, graphics card, and storage speed also play a significant role in the overall performance.

5. How can I check the current processor speed of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP?

You can check the current processor speed of the SMD FX4100 in Win XP by opening the Task Manager and going to the Performance tab. The processor speed will be displayed under the CPU section.

Back