Operators in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, according to the author, the form of an operator depends on the context in which it is used, rather than being determined by the nature of space itself.
Sheldon Cooper
Hey guys,
Am facing an issue, we know that x and y operators take the same form due to isotropy of space, but sir if we destroy the isotropy, then what form will it take?
Can u pleases throw some light on this!
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does this come from? For me the question is so dark that I've no clue how to shed light on it :-(.

Likes bhobba
vanhees71 said:
Where does this come from? For me the question is so dark that I've no clue how to shed light on it :-(.
Actually I was thinking like we say that the x-axis y-axis and the z-axis are identical due to the isotropy of space, we know that in momentum space the position operator takes some functional form so when we represent the x operator or the y operator, their functional natures are the same. Now if we break the isotropy of space then it is expected that the functional dependencies change, so how do we account for the changes in the operator algebra!

Sheldon Cooper said:
Actually I was thinking like we say that the x-axis y-axis and the z-axis are identical due to the isotropy of space, we know that in momentum space the position operator takes some functional form so when we represent the x operator or the y operator, their functional natures are the same. Now if we break the isotropy of space then it is expected that the functional dependencies change, so how do we account for the changes in the operator algebra!
can you give an example of a non isotropic space?

Space-time around a Kerr black hole? SCNR.

Likes bhobba
Sheldon Cooper said:
Hey guys,
Am facing an issue, we know that x and y operators take the same form due to isotropy of space, but sir if we destroy the isotropy, then what form will it take?
Can u pleases throw some light on this!
Thanks in advance

There are two sorts of x and y operators in elementary quantum mechanics: spin operators and position operators.

Spin operators: In curved spacetime treated as a fixed, classical background, space is locally Lorentzian. The spin operators are local operators, so they remain the same. However, they must be formulated using the tetrad formalism for general relativity. See eg. https://arxiv.org/abs/1108.3896, Localized qubits in curved spacetimes, by Matthew C. Palmer, Maki Takahashi, Hans F. Westman.

Position: In curved spacetime treated as a fixed, classical background, there are no particles except in a very approximate sense, and one must use fields and field observables, eg. quantum probabilities for particle detection along the worldline of a detector, eg. p17 of https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0308048, Introduction to Quantum Fields in Curved Spacetime and the Hawking Effect, by Ted Jacobson. Matthias Blau has links to many more good references in http://www.blau.itp.unibe.ch/QFTCST/.

However, if spacetime is treated as curved, but not fixed, then the problem is about observables in quantum gravity. As far as I understand, there are good informal arguments that there are no local observables in quantum gravity: https://diracseashore.wordpress.com/2008/10/09/observables-in-quantum-gravity/, Observables in quantum gravity, by Moshe Rozali.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby
Ben Wilson said:
can you give an example of a non isotropic space?
Like say, at the edge of a crystal

Operators don't take the form they take because of the "isotropy of space". Rather the isotropy of space implies that matrix elements of those operators must transform in well defined rules when you rotate your coordinates.

I think this is covered pretty well in most graduate level books of quantum mechanics, so I'll refer to Sakurai, chapter on symmetries etc... Basically, the isotropy of space implies that Rotation operators must satisfy composition rules of the rotation group, etc.. In quantum mechanics there's an additional subtlety of the phase ambiguity, you can read about "projective representation" which is the technical term for that.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and vanhees71

Related to Operators in Quantum Mechanics

What are operators in quantum mechanics?

Operators in quantum mechanics are mathematical representations of physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. They act on quantum states and produce numerical values that can be measured in experiments.

What is the role of operators in quantum mechanics?

Operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they allow us to calculate the probability of obtaining a particular measurement outcome, as well as the evolution of quantum states over time.

How do operators differ from classical observables?

Operators differ from classical observables in that they do not have definite values until a measurement is made. In classical mechanics, observables have well-defined values at all times, whereas in quantum mechanics, the values of observables are probabilistic until they are measured.

What is the commutator of two operators?

The commutator of two operators is defined as the difference between the product of the two operators in two different orders. It is an important quantity in quantum mechanics as it determines the compatibility of two operators and plays a key role in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

Can operators be expressed in terms of matrices?

Yes, operators in quantum mechanics can be expressed in terms of matrices. This allows us to perform calculations and make predictions about quantum systems using linear algebra, which is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics.