Opinions on "physics: DeMYSTiFieD - A Self Teaching Guide"?

In summary, the conversation discusses a McGraw Hill physics textbook purchased at a second-hand bookstore for a great deal. The individual wonders if it would be useful for someone already taking physics courses in college or if it would be better as a review for spare time. They ask for opinions on the book and share some reviews, with one person recommending it for high school students and another mentioning some negative reviews on Amazon. They ultimately decide to give it to a younger cousin.
AaronK
Recently at a second-hand bookstore, I found this McGraw Hill text for only $2 dollars, so naturally I had to buy it (any 500+ page book about physics for $2 bucks is a great deal). I wonder though, is it useful at all to someone already taking physics courses in college? Or would it just be a nice little review I could work through in my spare time? Anyone know of errors?

Would love to hear any opinion on the book :oldsmile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Its an okay book for what it is, a study or insightful guide for freshman physics. Often students get so hung up on the high end concepts or problems that they overlook the basics. This book helps cover the basics.
I suspect the book would have the most value to a High School student preparing for his first year of physics (and hadn't any previous experience with physics). It won't replace a good textbook, but could supplement a course.

I've seen some worrying low-star reviews at Amazon from some of the people that got it there. It seems the the author has the tendency to unnecessarily complicate certain concepts that don't need to be overcomplicated, or at least that seems to be what some of the reviewers at Amazon felt who had worked through it. I suppose I'll stick to more mainstream/respectable texts for review, but I agree that the book would probably be most useful to high school students, so I'll probably just give it to a younger cousin or something.

1. What is "physics: DeMYSTiFieD" and who is it for?

"Physics: DeMYSTiFieD" is a popular self-teaching guide designed to help students and individuals who are interested in learning the basics of physics. It covers a wide range of topics, from mechanics to quantum physics, and is suitable for beginners and intermediate learners.

2. Is "physics: DeMYSTiFieD" an effective learning tool?

Many readers have found "physics: DeMYSTiFieD" to be a highly effective learning tool. It is written in a clear and accessible manner, with plenty of examples and practice problems to reinforce understanding. However, as with any self-teaching guide, it ultimately depends on the individual's dedication and effort in studying the material.

3. Is "physics: DeMYSTiFieD" suitable for those without a strong math background?

While a basic understanding of math is necessary for understanding physics, "physics: DeMYSTiFieD" does not assume a strong math background. It explains mathematical concepts and equations in a straightforward manner, making it accessible to those with limited math knowledge.

4. Can "physics: DeMYSTiFieD" be used as a substitute for a traditional physics course?

While "physics: DeMYSTiFieD" covers many important topics in physics, it is not intended to be a substitute for a traditional physics course. It is a helpful supplement for those studying physics independently or as a review for those taking a physics course.

5. Are there any additional resources or tools recommended to use alongside "physics: DeMYSTiFieD"?

Some readers have found it helpful to use additional resources or tools alongside "physics: DeMYSTiFieD", such as online lectures, practice problems, or a tutor. It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and needs. However, the book itself is a comprehensive and self-contained guide for learning physics.