Opinions on the inclusion of internet references in a dissertation

In summary: The advice and question that you appear to have missed is the advice to check with either your instructor or your academic advisor! He/she will be able to tell you if such type of sources are acceptable!
rwooduk
I am currently writing my final year dissertation and have referenced not only academic papers but some internet sources that I have quoted or taken diagrams from. In particular I have referenced Wiki two times. I am concerned as I feel the inclusion of internet links is somewhat frowned upon, especially from Wiki.
On the other hand does it show an ability to gather information from a variety of sources?

I would be interested to know how academics here view this issue.

Thanks in advance for any opinions / information.

Physics news on Phys.org
It does give credit where it is due (or at least, you are not claiming it as original).

The biggest problem is the impermanence of internet sources. If at all possible, find an additional reference to a print source, a book or a journal. These things last much better.

Also, check with your adviser/school.

Likes rwooduk
How strong is your dissertation? The stronger it is the more "unusual" you can be in the citations. If possible give correct credit but unless you have great results I wouldn't include a wall of internet cites.

Likes rwooduk
Dr.D said:
It does give credit where it is due (or at least, you are not claiming it as original).

The biggest problem is the impermanence of internet sources. If at all possible, find an additional reference to a print source, a book or a journal. These things last much better.

Also, check with your adviser/school.

Hmm I've dated the sites in the references so as to show when they were available and when i looked at them. But will certainly look arond for similar non-internet sources before i hand it in.

deluks917 said:
How strong is your dissertation? The stronger it is the more "unusual" you can be in the citations. If possible give correct credit but unless you have great results I wouldn't include a wall of internet cites.

its looking pretty good imo and of the 75 references only 5 of them are internet sites, so I'm thinking it should be ok.

Any other opinions on this?

Thanks for the replies!

wikis are not primary sources, but they are often good summaries of the primary sources. I would refer to the primary sources mentioned in the wiki.

Likes dextercioby
Ideally, for every fact that you include in your dissertation that warrants citation, you want to have a peer-reviewed journal (and a reputable one at that) to back it up. But in reality, a lot can depend on the specific nature of the reference. For example, in my work I will occasionally need statistics related to various cancers, and so I might cite reports that are published by the relevant cancer societies. Usually it won't be a website though. Sometimes I'll used the NIST website for specific data, but even then I end up citing the reports where their methods are published rather than the website itself. If I wanted to refute the assertion that no one online discusses the inclusion of internet references in a dissertation, I could cite this thread, for example. Another example might be to include the location of a source code or online archive.

If you've cited Wikipedia, you'll likely lose a few marks if the there's a better reference that's easily (or perhaps not so easily) available.

Wikipedia is a source of information, a freely available encyclopedia (as opposed e.g. to Britannica). I'd never use an article there as a bibliographical item of a thesis/dissertation/research article on physics/mathematics/chemistry, not because the referenced content is not safe (one can edit an article at free will), but because the content on wiki is a summary, not a comprehensive treatment of a subject. You should base you work on (peer-reviewed) 'literature', not on encyclopedias.

I'm with dextercioby. I would never use Wikipedia (or Britanica) in a dissertation. Ever. A dissertation should use primary sources. An encyclopedia is fine for middle school, but not for a dissertation.

Thanks will see if i can source the information elsewhere, thanks for all the input!

rwooduk said:
Thanks will see if i can source the information elsewhere, thanks for all the input!
Good move. I'm with dextercioby and Vanadium 50.

A few years ago, I reviewed a technical report on some experimental work by a well-known and respected institution. They used and referenced a value taken from an internet site. The value was incorrect for the particular calculation, and I was shocked that anyone doing important experimental work would use a value taken off the internet without verifying the data!

Likes rwooduk
rwooduk said:

The advice and question that you appear to have missed is the advice to check with either your instructor or your academic advisor! He/she will be able to tell you if such type of sources are acceptable!

We can tell you everything here till we're blue, and they all will be utterly useless if your advisor has his/her own set of rules and guidelines that you must follow!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The advice and question that you appear to have missed is the advice to check with either your instructor or your academic advisor! He/she will be able to tell you if such type of sources are acceptable!

We can tell you everything here till we're blue, and they all will be utterly useless if your advisor has his/her own set of rules and guidelines that you must follow!

Zz.

To be honest I wasnt happy about including the Wiki references anyway, no professionally released papers have references to Wiki, and it looked kind of messy, there was just one graph I really liked that I couldn't find elsewhere:

Absorption_spectrum_of_liquid_water.png

There aren't that many similar graphs online, I'm trying to source it from the links he's given. But I've managed to change the rest of the internet links.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

It looks like an absorption curve one would get out of a UV-VIS measurement. Go to Google Scholar and do an extensive search for that material you are using and the technique. I'll be very surprised if you can't find something similar.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It looks like an absorption curve one would get out of a UV-VIS measurement. Go to Google Scholar and do an extensive search for that material you are using and the technique. I'll be very surprised if you can't find something similar.

Zz.

yes its an EM absorption curve for water, I've been suprised how difficult it is to find a good similar graph for such a fundamental concept! But there really arent that many around.

if you click on the picture in the wiki article and check the talk page, they mention that this picture was created based on data from several papers, and that a lot of the data and references can be found at the Oregon Laser Centre:
http://omlc.org/spectra/water/abs/index.html

Likes rwooduk

1. What is the purpose of including internet references in a dissertation?

The purpose of including internet references in a dissertation is to provide additional sources of information and support for the arguments and claims made in the dissertation. The internet is a vast repository of knowledge and including relevant references from credible sources can strengthen the validity and credibility of the dissertation.

2. How do I determine if an internet reference is reliable?

To determine if an internet reference is reliable, it is important to evaluate the source of the information. Look for references from reputable websites and sources such as government agencies, academic institutions, and peer-reviewed journals. It is also helpful to check if the author of the information is an expert in the field and if the information is supported by other credible sources.

3. Are internet references considered acceptable in academic writing?

Yes, internet references are considered acceptable in academic writing as long as they are used appropriately and from reliable sources. However, it is important to also include traditional sources such as books, journals, and articles to ensure a well-rounded and balanced approach to research.

4. How do I properly cite internet references in a dissertation?

Properly citing internet references in a dissertation follows the same guidelines as citing traditional sources. Include the author's name, the title of the webpage or article, the website or publication name, the date of publication, and the URL. It is also important to include the date the information was accessed, as internet sources can change or be updated.

5. Can I use personal blogs or social media posts as internet references in a dissertation?

It is generally not recommended to use personal blogs or social media posts as internet references in a dissertation. These sources may not be credible or reliable, and it can be difficult to verify the accuracy of the information. It is best to stick to more authoritative and reputable sources for academic writing.