Opinions on Zee's "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell"

In summary, the person is asking for opinions on a book about GR that doesn't get mentioned often in forums, despite having good reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. The other person thinks it's a great book to start learning GR from and believes it has some unique features compared to other popular GR books. They also mention that it is at a higher level than Hartle's but on par with Carroll's and Schutz's books.
Joker93
Hello again,
I would like to know what your opinions about this book. As I have figured out, there are a lot of great GR books out there, but this very rarely gets any mention in forums like this. Why is this? Its got pretty good reviews at amazon and goodreads.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think its a great book to start learning GR from.

How
Shyan said:
I think its a great book to start learning GR from.
How does it compare with other GR books like Carroll's or Hartle's or Schutz's?

Adam Landos said:
How does it compare with other GR books like Carroll's or Hartle's or Schutz's?

I haven't used those textbooks enough to comment on them, but I can say Zee's is in a higher level compared to Hartle's. Compared to Carroll's and Schutz's, I think they're roughly at the same level but Zee's has some exceptional features in terms of pedagogy.

Likes Joker93

What is Zee's "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell"?

Zee's "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell" is a book that provides a simplified and concise explanation of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the force of gravity as the curvature of spacetime.

Is "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell" suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell" is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. It uses everyday language and examples to explain complex concepts in a clear and understandable manner.

What sets "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell" apart from other books on general relativity?

One of the main features that sets "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell" apart is its brevity. The book is only about 200 pages long, making it a quick and easy read compared to other textbooks on general relativity. Additionally, Zee's writing style is engaging and entertaining, making the subject matter more approachable.

Can "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell" be used as a reference for further studies in general relativity?

While "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell" provides a simplified explanation of general relativity, it may not be comprehensive enough for those looking for in-depth knowledge and understanding of the subject. It can, however, serve as a useful starting point for further studies.

Are there any criticisms of "Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell"?

Some critics argue that Zee's simplified approach may oversimplify certain aspects of general relativity, leading to potential misunderstandings. It is always recommended to supplement any reading with additional resources to gain a more complete understanding of a subject.