Optical Isomerism: Levorotatory Tartric Acid Reduction

In summary, reducing tartaric acid with a reducing agent should produce the same enantiomer as the starting material. If you want to produce a ketone, then you can convert the acid to a Weinreb amide and then add an alkyl Grignard reagent.
smack_whore
hi,
if levo tartric acid was reduced to its ketone derivative would it produce exclusivly the levo form or would a racemic mix be formed or even the dextro form be formed?
(any examples you give me don't have to be for tartric acid i was just using it as an example as I've been reading the pasteur section of my book :smile: )
really I am asking if anyone has any links/book suggestions pertaining to this question but info will be appreciated a lot :!) thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you were to just reduce the two acids in tartaric acid, then the product should still be the same enantiomer that you started with. The reduction, in principle , shouldn't affect the alcohols which are the chiral centers. You can't predict with 100% certainty that the sign of optical rotation will stay the same, however. The ketone form will be more prone to epimerization of the chiral centers than they would be in the acid, but this would require strong acid or base. Some reducing agents may be acidic enough (or basic enough) to cause this epimerization, but I am fairly certain that you could find conditions to reduce the acid without affecting the stereochemistry of the alcohols.

The first idea that comes to mind is to convert the acids to the corresponding Weinreb amides and then add an alkyl Grignard reagent to form the ketones. I think that those conditions would be okay.

smack_whore said:
hi,
if levo tartric acid was reduced to its ketone derivative would it produce exclusivly the levo form or would a racemic mix be formed or even the dextro form be formed?
(any examples you give me don't have to be for tartric acid i was just using it as an example as I've been reading the pasteur section of my book :smile: )
really I am asking if anyone has any links/book suggestions pertaining to this question but info will be appreciated a lot :!) thanks

Movies has answered the question already, it is not my style to add same things, so I will mention of different things here.

You are asking about if one enantiomer is reacted with one reactant, say, an oxidizing agent in the case of tartaric acid (as the compound has double [itex]\displaystyle -CHOH- [/itex] bonds; this is much easier than using Grignard reagents on an acid), the optical configuration will change or not... Well, my opinion here is that you may have to use specialized reactants, which approaches from just ONE direction to yield an enantiomer again, otherwise, the reaction will proceed in BOTH directions to give you a racemic mixture. This is my reasoning.

However, if you really want to obtain a ketone from an acid, Movies' idea is great already. If you are interested in this problem, I would recommend that you search some advanced organic chemistry textbooks like John March's to find if there are any solutions to this problem (I am also certain like Movies that there has to be an answer).

thanks, always a great help

Related to Optical Isomerism: Levorotatory Tartric Acid Reduction

1. What is optical isomerism?

Optical isomerism is a type of stereoisomerism in which two or more molecules have the same chemical formula and connectivity, but differ in the arrangement of their atoms in space. This results in the molecules having different physical and chemical properties, such as their ability to rotate plane-polarized light.

2. What is levorotatory tartric acid?

Levorotatory tartric acid is a type of optical isomer of the compound tartaric acid. It is also known as L-tartaric acid, and it differs from its optical isomer, dextrorotatory tartaric acid, by the arrangement of its atoms in space. It is commonly used in organic chemistry as a chiral reagent and in the food industry as a flavoring agent.

3. How is levorotatory tartric acid reduced?

Levorotatory tartric acid can be reduced using various chemical reactions, such as hydrogenation or catalytic reduction. These reactions involve the addition of hydrogen atoms to the carbon-carbon double bonds in the molecule, resulting in the formation of a new compound with different physical and chemical properties.

4. What is the significance of optical isomerism in levorotatory tartric acid reduction?

Optical isomerism plays a crucial role in levorotatory tartric acid reduction, as it determines the direction of rotation of the resulting compound. The reduction of levorotatory tartric acid results in the formation of a new optical isomer, known as meso-tartrate, which has no net rotation of plane-polarized light. This is due to the equal and opposite rotations of its two optical isomers, d- and l-tartaric acid.

5. What are the practical applications of optical isomerism in levorotatory tartric acid reduction?

The practical applications of optical isomerism in levorotatory tartric acid reduction include the production of optically pure compounds for use in the pharmaceutical and food industries. By selectively reducing one of the optical isomers, chemists can create compounds with specific properties and activities. Additionally, the study of optical isomers and their reactions has led to a better understanding of chemical bonding and molecular structure.