Optical Path Length Difference & Constructive Interference: Normal Incidence

Both express the same idea that the phase difference at point A is equal to half a wavelength more than at point B, leading to constructive interference. In summary, the optical path length difference for normal incidence is equal to the product of the refractive index and the thickness of the film. For constructive interference to occur, the condition is that twice the thickness of the film must be equal to an integer number of wavelengths inside the film, plus an additional half wavelength due to the phase shift at the air-film boundary. This can be expressed as 2nt = (m + 0.5)λ or 2nt = (m - 0.5)λ, where m is an integer.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

Light falls at normal incidence onto a transparent film on a substrate as shown
2007examqn.jpg

i. what is the optical path length difference in the case of normal incidence?
ii. if nf>no and nf>ns, what is the condition for constructive interference in the case of normal incidence? explain your answer.

Homework Equations

OPL=nd

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I am studying for an exam and this qn has been on the last 2 exams, and i have absolutely no idea how to do it, it can't be that, just an understanding issue. ok i know that the OPL=nd, i got no idea what the questions is asking me, or how to do it, please can anyone give me some info?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone is it something like OPLn(AB+BA)=2nt?

anyone

Your condition for constructive interference is such that twice the thickness of the glass is equal to an integer number of wavelength (the wavelength is taken from inside the film) MINUS Pi (because the rays reflected off the air-film boundary will be given a Pi phase boost because nf>no, however the rays reflecting off the film-substrate boundary will not, since ns<nf)

so it it just for constructive, 2ntCos(theta)=m*lambda and for destructive 2ntCos(theta)=(m+0.5)*lambda, when m is an integer?

so it it just for constructive, 2ntCos(theta)=m*lambda and for destructive 2ntCos(theta)=(m+0.5)*lambda, when m is an integer?

No, but you almost have the right idea. As Maverick said, you need to account for the extra π phase shift that happens at A, but not at B. This is essentially equivalent to adding half a wavelength to the path difference.

ahh ok... so then for constructive interference it is the opposite? 2nt=(0.5+m)lambda... its the A and B part I am confused about, becasue some gets reflected and some goes straight through.. or something.

i understand but still lost lol, for part a. the phase difference is pi?

Last edited:
or is it (m-0.5)lambda?

sorry for some reason my computer is laggy and saying the same thing over and over again every time i make a post...

fredrick08 said:
ahh ok... so then for constructive interference it is the opposite? 2nt=(0.5+m)lambda

fredrick08 said:
or is it (m-0.5)lambda?

Yes, either one of those would be fine.

Related to Optical Path Length Difference & Constructive Interference: Normal Incidence

1. What is the optical path length difference?

The optical path length difference is the difference in the distance traveled by two light rays that have been split and then recombined. It is a measurement of the phase difference between the two rays.

2. How is the optical path length difference calculated?

The optical path length difference is calculated by taking the difference in the distances traveled by the two rays and dividing it by the wavelength of the light. This gives the phase difference in units of wavelengths.

3. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same wavelength and frequency overlap and combine to form a wave with a larger amplitude. This is due to the waves being in phase, or having a path difference that is an integer multiple of the wavelength.

4. How does normal incidence affect the optical path length difference?

In normal incidence, the light rays are perpendicular to the surface they are reflecting off of. This means that the optical path length difference is equal to the actual physical distance between the two rays. This can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

5. What is the significance of constructive interference in normal incidence?

In normal incidence, constructive interference results in a bright spot, or a point of maximum intensity, on the screen or surface where the recombined rays meet. This is useful in various applications such as interferometry, diffraction, and holography.