Optical trapping of non-spherical particles

In summary, the optical trapping force decreases as particles deviate from sphere's. There is a paper currently in revision which discusses deviations from sphere's and the relative strength of trapping.
Gwinterz
Hey

I just have a kind of broad question, typical derivations of the optical trapping force involve the approximation that the particle is spherical.

I'm about to start looking into papers which discuss deviations from this but before I do I just wanted to see if I could reinforce some intuition to help better understand what I'm looking for.

As particles deviate from sphere's, the trapping force decreases right?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
The theory of optical trapping was originally simplified for dielectric spheres. I don't think that there is a general theory for various geometric shapes ... though people can trap lots of small things with different shapes.

I don't work in this field so I'm not sure about the relative strength of trapping for various shapes.

We have a paper currently in revision regarding this topic, relevant references provided below.

While the theory for trapping spherical particles is well-developed and has been extended to include anisotropic particles, nearly-spherical particles, arbitrary optical fields, etc; analytical results for things like cylinders and cubes are essentially non-existent. There are only a few numerical results for cubes and cylinders as well:

Ling, L., et al., Optical forces on arbitrary shaped particles in optical tweezers. Journal of Applied Physics, 2010. 108(7).
Nieminen, T.A., H. Rubinsztein-Dunlop, and N.R. Heckenberg, Calculation and optical measurement of laser trapping forces on non-spherical particles. Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy & Radiative Transfer, 2001. 70(4-6): p. 627-637.
Bonessi, D., K. Bonin, and T. Walker, Optical forces on particles of arbitrary shape and size. Journal of Optics a-Pure and Applied Optics, 2007. 9(8): p. S228-S234.
Lock, J.A., Scattering of a diagonally incident focused Gaussian beam by an infinitely long homogeneous circular cylinder. Journal of the Optical Society of America a-Optics Image Science and Vision, 1997. 14(3): p. 640-652.
Grzegorczyk, T.M. and J.A. Kong, Analytical expression of the force due to multiple TM plane-wave incidences on an infinite lossless dielectric circular cylinder of arbitrary size. Journal of the Optical Society of America B-Optical Physics, 2007. 24(3): p. 644-652.
Kotlyar, V.V. and A.G. Nalimov, Analytical expression for radiation forces on a dielectric cylinder illuminated by a cylindrical Gaussian beam. Optics Express, 2006. 14(13): p. 6316-6321.
Rockstuhl, C. and H.P. Herzig, Rigorous diffraction theory applied to the analysis of the optical force on elliptical nano- and micro-cylinders. Journal of Optics a-Pure and Applied Optics, 2004. 6(10): p. 921-931.
Gauthier, R.C., Theoretical investigation of the optical trapping force and torque on cylindrical micro-objects. Journal of the Optical Society of America B-Optical Physics, 1997. 14(12): p. 3323-3333.

Related to Optical trapping of non-spherical particles

What is optical trapping?

Optical trapping, also known as optical tweezing, is a technique used to manipulate microscopic particles using laser beams. The laser creates a gradient in the surrounding medium, causing the particles to move towards the center of the beam and become trapped in a stable position.

How are non-spherical particles trapped optically?

Non-spherical particles can be trapped by using a special type of laser beam called a vortex beam. This beam has a helical phase front, which creates a force that can trap non-spherical particles along its axis.

What are the applications of optical trapping of non-spherical particles?

The optical trapping of non-spherical particles has various applications, including the study of biological cells and molecules, manipulation of microelectronic components, and development of new materials. It is also used in nanotechnology for assembling and manipulating nanoparticles.

What are the advantages of using optical trapping for non-spherical particles?

Optical trapping offers several advantages over other trapping techniques, such as magnetic or electric traps. It is non-invasive, meaning it does not damage the particles being trapped. It also allows for precise control and manipulation of particles in real-time.

What are the challenges of optical trapping of non-spherical particles?

One of the main challenges of optical trapping of non-spherical particles is the development of suitable trapping techniques for different types of particles. Another challenge is the effect of Brownian motion, which can cause particles to move out of the trap. Additionally, the high intensity of the laser beam can lead to heating of the surrounding medium, which can affect the trapped particles.