Material index formulas for optical clarity and Ashby charts

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for formulas to retrieve the material index for selecting materials using an Ashby chart. An example of a deflection equation for a spherical cap is given, along with the derivation of an equation for thickness. The material index is then determined by solving for mass. The need for an additional material index for optical clarity is mentioned, and a Google search is suggested as a starting point for finding relevant equations.
LT72884
Hello:)

i need some help trying to find some formulas that i can retrive the material index from at the end of simplification to use with an ashby chart to select materials. here is an example of deflection equation from a sphere used for a spherical cap and what material index we used to find our material.

Deflection:
d=(pr²)/2Et
If mass is equal to density multiplied by volume, we can derive an equation for thickness:
m=𝞺at
m=𝞺(2rh)t
t=m/𝝆2rh
d=((pr²)/2E)*m/𝝆a solve for m to find the material index
m=pr³h𝝆/dE
𝝆/E is our material index and should be minimized, or E/𝝆 should be maximized.

the last material index i need to find is for optical clarity, how well you can see through it. We are making a visor for a helmet. So it needs to be clear and non reflective, but i don't know how to find the material index because i do not know of any equations used for optical clarity.

thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a material index formula for optical clarity?

A material index formula for optical clarity is a mathematical equation that quantifies the transparency or clarity of a material. It takes into account factors such as refractive index, absorption coefficient, and scattering coefficient to determine a value that represents the material's ability to transmit light without distortion or obstruction.

2. How are material index formulas for optical clarity used?

Material index formulas for optical clarity are used in materials science and engineering to compare different materials and determine which ones are most suitable for applications that require high levels of transparency, such as lenses, windows, and screens. They can also be used to optimize the composition of a material for improved clarity.

3. What is an Ashby chart?

An Ashby chart is a graphical representation of material properties, often used in materials selection and design. It plots two material properties against each other, such as stiffness and density, to show the relationship between them and identify materials with desirable combinations of properties.

4. How are Ashby charts related to material index formulas for optical clarity?

Ashby charts can be used to plot the material index formula for optical clarity against other material properties, such as refractive index and absorption coefficient. This allows for a visual comparison of materials based on their clarity and other relevant properties, aiding in the selection of the most suitable material for a specific application.

5. Are material index formulas and Ashby charts only used for optical clarity?

No, material index formulas and Ashby charts can also be used to evaluate and compare materials for other properties, such as strength, thermal conductivity, and electrical conductivity. However, they are particularly useful for materials with optical applications, as they provide a quantitative measure of clarity and can help identify materials with the highest potential for optical performance.