What is the closest object that can be seen clearly with corrective glasses?

In summary, Bill and Anne are both farsighted and have near points located at 116 cm and 74.0 cm from their eyes, respectively. They both wear glasses that correct their vision to a normal near point of 25.0 cm from the eyes, with the glasses being 2.0 cm from the eyes. Using the equation P=1/f, where P is the power of the glasses, do is the distance between the object and the glasses, and di is the distance between the lens and the eye, it was determined that Bill's glasses have a power of 3.47 diopters and Anne's glasses have a power of 2.96 diopters. However, when switching the powers and
EKL622
Bill is farsighted and has a near point located 116 cm from his eyes. Anne is also farsighted, but her near point is 74.0 cm from her eyes. Both have glasses that correct their vision to a normal near point (25.0 cm from the eyes), and both wear glasses 2.0 cm from the eyes. Relative to the eyes, what is the closet object that can be seen clearly in the following situations.

1/f = 1/do + 1/di
P=1/f

I determined the powers (P) of the people's glasses using P= 1/do + 1/di where do was 0.25-0.02 and di was near point(in meters)+0.02. For Bill: P = 1/(0.23) + 1/-1.16+0.02 = 3.47 diopters. For Anne: P = 1/0.23 + 1/-0.72+0.02 = 2.96 diopters. I then switched the powers around, used the same di as before, and solved for do. I got 48cm for both of them, but this is wrong. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong? I am definitely a little confused about when you need to take the distance between the glasses and eye into account and whether you add or subtract it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I figured it out. In addition to just doing the math wrong and forgetting negatives, I wasn't taking the distance between the eye and glasses into consideration for my final answer. Oops.

1. How does the human eye perceive color?

The human eye has specialized cells called cones that are responsible for color vision. These cones are sensitive to three primary colors: red, green, and blue. The combination of signals from these cones allows us to see a wide range of colors.

2. What is the difference between nearsightedness and farsightedness?

Nearsightedness, also known as myopia, is a condition where the eye is able to see objects close up but has difficulty seeing objects far away. This is due to the shape of the eye, which causes light to focus in front of the retina instead of directly on it. Farsightedness, or hyperopia, is the opposite, where the eye has difficulty seeing objects up close but can see objects far away. This is caused by the eye being too short, causing light to focus behind the retina.

3. Can the human eye see ultraviolet or infrared light?

No, the human eye is only able to see a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum known as visible light. Ultraviolet and infrared light are outside of this range and cannot be perceived by the human eye. However, some animals such as bees and snakes are able to see ultraviolet and infrared light.

4. How does the eye focus on objects at different distances?

The eye is able to focus on objects at different distances through a process called accommodation. This is when the muscles in the eye change the shape of the lens to adjust the focus. When looking at objects up close, the lens becomes thicker and rounder to increase its refractive power. When looking at objects far away, the lens becomes thinner and flatter, decreasing its refractive power.

5. How do glasses or contact lenses correct vision problems?

Glasses and contact lenses work by altering the path of light entering the eye to compensate for any refractive errors. For nearsightedness, concave lenses are used to diverge light and bring the focal point back onto the retina. For farsightedness, convex lenses are used to converge light and bring the focal point forward. These lenses are customized to the individual's specific prescription to correct their vision.