Treating Oblique Incidence as a Fraunhofer Diffraction Problem

In summary, "Treating Oblique Incidence as a Fraunhofer Diffraction Problem" is a method used in optics to analyze the diffraction of light at an angle. It allows for a more accurate analysis of the diffraction pattern by taking into account the angle of incidence. However, it has limitations such as assuming a monochromatic light source and only being accurate for small angles of incidence. This method differs from other diffraction methods by considering the angle of incidence, but it can also be applied to other types of waves besides light.
physconomic
Homework Statement
Plane wavefront is incident at angle ##\alpha## on a plane mirror and reflects off at angle ##\beta## - treat the situation as a 1d Fraunhofer diffraction problem, finding the phase of the diffracted wavefront as a function of distance from the mirror centre and ##\beta##. Find the intensity distribution.
Relevant Equations
Fraunhofer intensity
I'm not sure where to start on this as I've only used Fraunhofer when it involves slits, not mirrors. Would I say it was a single slit problem so that D = width of slit (but this doesn't make sense to me because the light is reflecting not transmitting? Or an infinitely narrow slit hence nothing is transmitted? The point of the question is to show we can ignore diffraction effects in this situation but I'm just not sure how to apply Fraunhofer diffraction to this, so any help at all is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

1. What is oblique incidence in the context of Fraunhofer diffraction?

Oblique incidence refers to the angle at which a wavefront approaches a diffracting object in a Fraunhofer diffraction setup. It is measured with respect to the normal (perpendicular) direction of the diffracting object's surface.

2. Why is oblique incidence important in Fraunhofer diffraction?

Oblique incidence allows for a more realistic representation of the diffraction pattern, as most real-world scenarios involve waves approaching objects at an angle. It also allows for the study of how diffraction patterns change as the angle of incidence is varied.

3. How is oblique incidence treated in Fraunhofer diffraction?

Oblique incidence is treated by incorporating the angle of incidence into the mathematical equations used to describe Fraunhofer diffraction. This allows for the calculation of the diffraction pattern at a specific angle of incidence.

4. What is the difference between oblique incidence and normal incidence in Fraunhofer diffraction?

The main difference is that normal incidence refers to waves approaching a diffracting object at a 90 degree angle, while oblique incidence refers to waves approaching at any other angle. Normal incidence is often used as an approximation in Fraunhofer diffraction calculations, while oblique incidence allows for a more accurate representation of the diffraction pattern.

5. How does oblique incidence affect the diffraction pattern in Fraunhofer diffraction?

Oblique incidence can cause changes in the shape and intensity of the diffraction pattern, as the angle of incidence affects the interference of the diffracted waves. It can also lead to the appearance of additional diffraction peaks or fringes in the pattern.