How Does Water Alter the Diameter of Newton's Rings?

In summary, the phenomenon of Newton's rings can be observed when a planoconvex lens with an index of refraction of n= 1.51 is placed on a flat glass surface with an index of n= 1.78. The diameter of the third bright ring in this setup is 0.760 mm. When water with an index of n= 1.33 is introduced between the lens and plate, the new diameter of this ring can be calculated using the equation rN = [(N-0.5)λR]1/2, where r is the radius of the Nth bright ring, N is the ring number, λ is the wavelength of light passing through the glass, and R is the radius
Frosty128

Homework Statement

Newton's rings can be seen when a planoconvex lens is placed on a flat glass surface. For a particular lens with an index of refraction of n= 1.51 and a glass plate with an index of n= 1.78, the diameter of the third bright ring is 0.760 mm.

If water (n= 1.33) now fills the space between the lens and the plate, what is the new diameter of this ring?

Homework Equations

rN = [(N-0.5)λR]1/2

r=radius of Nth bright ring
N=ring number
λ=wavelength of light that passes through the glass
R=radius of curvature of the lens

The Attempt at a Solution

If I was given a value for λ for the wavelength of light, I know I could simply plug in everything to find the radius of curvature of the planoconvex lens, then divide λ by 1.33 and solve for the new r3, but with the given data I am not sure how to find the wavelength of light, or if there is some other way to go about solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention that, since this is the third bright ring, this must be the third instance of constructive interference, so that the thickness of the film at that point must equal (3/2)λ, but I do not know where to go from there.

1. What are Newton's Rings?

Newton's Rings are a series of concentric circular fringes that are formed when a spherical lens is placed on top of a flat glass surface. These rings are caused by the interference of light waves reflected from the two surfaces.

2. How are Newton's Rings formed?

Newton's Rings are formed due to the phenomenon of interference. When light waves from a monochromatic source are reflected from two surfaces with a small gap between them, the waves interfere and create a pattern of light and dark fringes.

3. What is the significance of Newton's Rings?

Newton's Rings have great significance in the field of optics as they demonstrate the wave nature of light and the principles of interference. They have also been used in the calibration of optical instruments and in the study of thin films.

4. Can Newton's Rings be observed with any light source?

No, Newton's Rings can only be observed with a monochromatic light source, such as a laser or a sodium lamp. This is because the interference of light waves requires them to be of the same wavelength.

5. How can Newton's Rings be used in practical applications?

Newton's Rings have been used in the manufacturing of optical components such as lenses and mirrors to check for surface flatness and quality. They have also been used in the study of thin films and in the measurement of refractive index of materials.