Optics Program or Physics Program (w/ optics concentration)

In summary: On the other hand, if you're interested in optics broadly, a degree in optics might give you a leg up.
concernedmartian
My main goal is optics. I love it. I did an internship having to study and learn about optics and I've had my sights set on it sense then. It's also easier for me to learn. I've applied to graduate schools, but I need to know:

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of going to an optics program rather than working towards a PhD in physics with a concentration in AMO.

Physics news on Phys.org
With optics, you mean quantum optics and not classical optics, right? Because they're doing quantum optics in AMO, which isn't really that related to the classical optics used in optical engineering or metrology.

concernedmartian said:
My main goal is optics. I love it. I did an internship having to study and learn about optics and I've had my sights set on it sense then. It's also easier for me to learn. I've applied to graduate schools, but I need to know:

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of going to an optics program rather than working towards a PhD in physics with a concentration in AMO.

My PhD is in AMO Physics. The PhD in Physics as opened a lot of doors that a degree in Optics might not have. The optics job market is much narrower. A degree in Physics gives more options if you need to live in a place without many optics jobs or during downturns in demand for optics degrees.

concernedmartian said:

It depends on what you mean by 'optics'- it's a broad field. My training is Physics with a concentration in optics, which provided me a sound foundation. If you want to do something specific- say, design lighting systems, you may be better off specializing earlier.

Related to Optics Program or Physics Program (w/ optics concentration)

1. What is a optics program or physics program with an optics concentration?

An optics program or physics program with an optics concentration is an academic program that focuses on the study of optics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light. This program combines the principles of physics with the study of optics to provide a comprehensive understanding of light and its applications in various fields.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates of an optics program or physics program with an optics concentration?

Graduates of an optics program or physics program with an optics concentration have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as telecommunications, aerospace, defense, biomedical imaging, and renewable energy. They can work as optical engineers, research scientists, optical designers, and more.

3. What courses are typically included in an optics program or physics program with an optics concentration?

Courses in an optics program or physics program with an optics concentration may include topics such as geometric optics, physical optics, laser physics, fiber optics, and spectroscopy. Students may also have the opportunity to take elective courses in specialized areas such as photonics, holography, and imaging.

4. Is a strong background in physics necessary for an optics program or physics program with an optics concentration?

While a strong foundation in physics is beneficial for students pursuing an optics program or physics program with an optics concentration, it is not always necessary. Many programs offer introductory courses in physics to help students build a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts before moving on to more advanced optics courses.

5. What skills and qualities are important for success in an optics program or physics program with an optics concentration?

Success in an optics program or physics program with an optics concentration requires strong analytical and mathematical skills, as well as the ability to think critically and solve complex problems. Additionally, good communication skills, creativity, and attention to detail are important qualities for students in this program.