Things to talk about in a Polarization Write-up

In summary: Which component/vector of an EM wave (Electric or magnetic) does a polarizing filter eliminate and why?A filter can eliminate either the E-field or the B-field. The filter does not eliminate both fields together. This is because the E-field and the B-field kind of sustain each other as they pass through vacuum or any media. If one is lost, then it's not an EM wave any more.
authoriseddiplidocus

Homework Statement

I am doing an assignment on Polarization of light. I have conducted experiments to prove that reflected light is at least partially plane-polarized, and to prove that Malus' Law is true. Both my experiments have given good results. I now need to find enough stuff to write about polarization that the marker doesn't think all I've done is got some data.

Homework Equations

Can someone briefly explain or post a link to tell me how Malus' Law actually works? Why is the equation as it is? What is the physics behind it?
Why is reflected light plane-polarized?
Which component/vector of an EM wave (Electric or magnetic) does a polarizing filter eliminate and why?

The Attempt at a Solution

Currently, I've explained how an EM wave is made up of perpendicular electric and magnetic field vectors oscilating perpendicular to each other and perpendicular to the direction of propagation. I've also explained that natural/un-polarized light has these vectors oscillating in all planes, whilst plane-polarized light has eliminated all but one plane of oscillation. (all in more detail than I've put here)

Any suggestions as to what I can talk about would be much appreciated. Even if it's not fully related to Malus' Law or Brewsters Law, it would be great to have extra content in my write-up.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
authoriseddiplidocus said:
Which component/vector of an EM wave (Electric or magnetic) does a polarizing filter eliminate
A filter cannot eliminate both the fields together. In that case, the wave would not be an EM wave.

Consider E-field only. In unpolarised light, the E-field vectors are aligned randomly in all possible directions. When this light is passed through a filter, the vibrations only in a certain plane pass through, and all other E-field vectors are removed.

The B-field vector will vibrate perpendicular to the E-field vector, and will be in a certain plane, rather than in all random directions.

When you read Maxwell's equations, you will find that the E-field and the B-field kind of sustain each other as they pass through vacuum or any media. If one is lost, then it's not an EM wave any more.
authoriseddiplidocus said:
Why is reflected light plane-polarized?
A very deep question. You are basically asking for the physics behind what happens at the media boundary so that the reflected light gets plane-polarised, i.e. what interactions occur between light photons and the medium molecules. I don't know the answer, so I'll wait for someone else to answer. In fact, I tried to find this several years ago on the net, but there isn't any good answer. Hope that somebody here gives a satisfactory one.

1. What is polarization and how does it occur?

Polarization is the process of separating electric charges within a material or substance, resulting in a build-up of positive and negative poles. This can occur through various mechanisms such as the alignment of polar molecules or the movement of free electrons in response to an external electric field.

2. How does polarization affect the properties of materials?

Polarization can greatly impact the optical, electrical, and mechanical properties of materials. For example, polarized light can be used to study the molecular structure of a substance, while polarized electric fields can alter the conductivity of a material. Additionally, polarization can affect the strength and stability of materials, making it an important consideration in various industries such as electronics and construction.

3. What are some examples of polarized materials?

Many substances exhibit some degree of polarization, including crystals, certain types of plastics, and even some biological tissues. However, some materials are intentionally polarized for specific applications, such as polarizing filters used in photography and 3D glasses used in cinemas.

4. How is polarization measured and quantified?

The degree of polarization can be measured using various techniques such as polarimeters, which measure the angle of polarization of light passing through a substance, or through the use of mathematical equations such as the dipole moment or polarization density.

5. What are the practical applications of polarization?

Polarization has a wide range of practical applications in various fields. In addition to the examples mentioned above, polarization is used in telecommunications for signal transmission, in LCD screens for display technology, and in medical imaging techniques such as MRI. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves, aiding in the development of new technologies and advancements in scientific research.