Optimal Placement of a Resistor in a Circuit

In summary, the placement of the 100ohm resistor in this circuit does matter. It affects the polarity and DC path to ground at J, and can also have an impact on the input frequency range. Additionally, the combination of the 100ohm and 15k resistors in parallel may be unusual and could be affected by manufacturing tolerances. Moving the resistor to the other side of the capacitor would change the behavior of the circuit.
Infamous911
Am I correct in thinking that it would not matter if I place the 100ohm resistor after the 220nF capacitor (as shown in the picture), or before the capacitor?

lKvGlyt.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It certainly does matter where you place the resistor in this circuit, since each side of the capacitor has a different polarity. Furthermore, you have the 100 ohm resistor in parallel with R13, which tells me that you are trying to achieve a value for a resistance that you could not otherwise provide using a single resistor that you do not have in your possession as in Rtotal=1/(1/R1 +1/R2), which in this case is effectively 99.338 ohm, so by that reasoning alone, the resistor is improperly placed.

Infamous911 said:
Am I correct in thinking that it would not matter if I place the 100ohm resistor after the 220nF capacitor (as shown in the picture), or before the capacitor?
For a number of reasons, it probably does matter. Where it currently sits means that J "sees" an infinite DC path to ground. But move that resistor to the other side, and signal at J "sees" a DC path of 100Ω to ground. Big difference, where it's important.

You can apply similar reasoning to what the circuit on the right sees.

Infamous911 said:

I agree with other replies.

It probably does matter but more information is required to fully answer the question.

As baudrunner points out the combination of 100R and 15K in parallel is unusual. Not least because the effect of the 15k on the combined impedance is small. What is the manufacturing tolerance of the 100R? The 15K affects the impedence by less than 1% so if the manufacturing tollerance of the 100R was say 1 or 2% then you have to wonder why the 15k is there at all.

The answer might also depend on the input frequency. Currently anything below about 7Khz is attenuated by the high pass filter (220nF & 100R).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-pass_filter

If you swap the 100R to the left of the 220nF that won't work the same. The corner frequency will increase to something much higher (220nF and 15k//20K).

I would say that the placement of the resistor in a circuit does matter and can have an impact on the overall functioning of the circuit. In this specific case, the placement of the resistor before or after the capacitor can affect the charging and discharging of the capacitor and the overall impedance of the circuit.

If the resistor is placed before the capacitor, it will limit the current flowing into the capacitor, affecting the time it takes for the capacitor to charge. On the other hand, if the resistor is placed after the capacitor, it will limit the current flowing out of the capacitor, affecting the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge.

The optimal placement of the resistor in a circuit depends on the specific design and purpose of the circuit. In some cases, placing the resistor before the capacitor may be more beneficial, while in others, placing it after the capacitor may be more advantageous. It is important to carefully consider the design and intended function of the circuit to determine the optimal placement of the resistor.

1. What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is designed to resist the flow of electricity and convert electrical energy into heat, which helps to regulate the amount of current in the circuit.

2. How do I choose the right resistor for my circuit?

The value of a resistor is measured in ohms (Ω) and can range from a few ohms to millions of ohms. To choose the right resistor, you need to consider the desired amount of resistance, the power rating, and the tolerance. You can use a resistor color code chart or an online calculator to determine the value of a resistor.

3. Can I connect a resistor in any direction in a circuit?

Yes, resistors are not polarized and can be connected in either direction in a circuit. However, it is important to make sure that the resistor is connected in the correct location in the circuit and that the leads are securely connected to avoid any malfunctions.

4. What happens if I use a resistor with a higher or lower value than what is needed?

If you use a resistor with a higher value, it will increase the amount of resistance in the circuit, which will reduce the flow of current. This can affect the performance of the circuit and potentially damage other components. If you use a resistor with a lower value, it will decrease the amount of resistance and allow more current to flow, which can also affect the circuit's performance and potentially damage components.

5. Can I use multiple resistors in a circuit?

Yes, you can use multiple resistors in a circuit by connecting them in series or parallel. In series, the resistors are connected end-to-end, and the total resistance is the sum of each resistor's individual resistance. In parallel, the resistors are connected side-by-side, and the total resistance is calculated using the reciprocal formula. Using multiple resistors can help achieve the desired resistance value and distribute the current evenly in the circuit.