Optimal Ratio for Mixing Oil and Gas for Leaf Blower | Help Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the proper oil to gas ratio for a leaf blower and the recommended amount of oil to add to a 16 oz tank. The correct conversion for 40:1 is 2.4 teaspoons of oil, but it is suggested to use a measuring cup to avoid any excess oil sticking to the measuring spoon. It is also mentioned that a slightly higher oil ratio is not harmful to the engine and can even be beneficial.
H012
I want to mix oil and gas by the tank for my leaf blower. The mix is 40:1 My tank holds 16 oz.
The manual says 3.2oz. of oil per 1 gal. of gas. I came up with 2.4 teaspoons of oil to the 16oz. tank. Am I right?. The reason for this question is that I don't use the leaf blower that often and mixing a whole gallon is too much. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is the right conversion, but might be the wrong answer. A lot will stick to the measuring spoon if you do it that way. Running two cycle lean can ruin an engine. Running with a bit too much oil just produces more smoke and reduces power. There is no risk to an engine running a 1:40 design at 1:32, and some margin for error could save you if too much oil sticks to your measuring spoon.

Likes Mentallic
H012 said:
I want to mix oil and gas by the tank for my leaf blower. The mix is 40:1 My tank holds 16 oz.
The manual says 3.2oz. of oil per 1 gal. of gas. I came up with 2.4 teaspoons of oil to the 16oz. tank. Am I right?. The reason for this question is that I don't use the leaf blower that often and mixing a whole gallon is too much. Thanks

Yes, you're correct. Since you want 1/40 the amount of oil to the amount of gas you're using, then you want 16/40oz of oil, which equates to 2.4tsp.

I didn't even realize teaspoons were a valid imperial unit of measure until now.

H012 said:
The manual says 3.2oz. of oil per 1 gal. of gas. I came up with 2.4 teaspoons of oil to the 16oz. tank. Am I right?.
Yes. 16 oz = 1/8 gal, so you want 0.4 fl. oz. of oil. According to this online conversion tool (http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/liquidvolume.php) 0.4 fl. oz = 2.365882365 teaspoons, which is pretty close to what you show.

Instead of converting to teaspoons I would just put the oil in a measuring cup (such as a Pyrex measuring cup), and put in a little less than 1/2 oz.
H012 said:
The reason for this question is that I don't use the leaf blower that often and mixing a whole gallon is too much. Thanks

Likes H012
Thanks for the quick reply. Hope I wasn't to off the wall with this question.

Nope. And keeping in mind what Dr. Courtney said about the oil sticking to the thing used to measure it, once you have the right amount in the measuring cup, you could fill the cup the rest of the way with gas, and put it into the leaf blower tank. Doing that a couple of times should get most or all of the oil.

1. What is fluid ratio and why is it important?

Fluid ratio is the proportion of different types of fluids in a mixture. It is important because it can affect the properties and behavior of the mixture, such as its viscosity, density, and flow rate.

2. How do I calculate fluid ratio?

Fluid ratio can be calculated by dividing the volume or weight of one fluid by the total volume or weight of all fluids in the mixture. For example, if a mixture contains 500 mL of water and 250 mL of oil, the fluid ratio would be 500/750 or 2/3 for water and 250/750 or 1/3 for oil.

3. What is the ideal fluid ratio for a specific application?

The ideal fluid ratio depends on the specific application and the desired properties of the mixture. For example, in a car engine, the ideal oil to water ratio may be different than in a shampoo mixture. It is important to consult with experts and conduct experiments to determine the best fluid ratio for a particular application.

4. How does temperature affect fluid ratio?

Temperature can affect the fluid ratio as it can change the volume or weight of the fluids in the mixture. For instance, as temperature increases, the volume of a liquid may expand, resulting in a change in the fluid ratio. It is important to take temperature into consideration when calculating and adjusting fluid ratio.

5. What are some common problems with fluid ratio and how can they be solved?

Some common problems with fluid ratio include incorrect calculations, inconsistent mixing, and changes in temperature or pressure. These problems can be solved by carefully following the fluid ratio formula, using accurate measuring tools, and maintaining consistent conditions during mixing. Regular monitoring and adjustments may also be necessary to ensure the desired fluid ratio is maintained.