Optimal study schedule for physics and math major

In summary: You might find that you can study for longer periods of time without needing breaks, or you might find that shorter study periods with frequent breaks work better for you. It's all about finding what works best for you.In summary, finding the optimal study schedule is a personal journey and requires trial and error. While some suggest studying for a fixed amount of time followed by a break, it is important to find what works best for you. It is also helpful to make friends with similar goals and to focus on acquiring knowledge rather than studying for a certain amount of time. Ultimately, the key is to find a balance between studying and leading a healthy life.
ChiralSuperfields
I have read online that the optimal amount of time to study for is 30 minutes followed by a 10 minute break and repeat. Dose anybody else please know of a good study schedule?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
I have read online that the optimal amount of time to study for is 30 minutes followed by a 10 minute break and repeat. Dose anybody else please know of a good study schedule?

Many thanks!

There is no optimal amount as a general answer. It all depends on you, your efforts, and your achievements. Here is an article about it from a professor in Michigan:

https://www.ams.org/publications/journals/notices/201707/rnoti-p718.pdf

Likes Vanadium 50 and ChiralSuperfields
People tend to figure out what works for them through trial and error.

One thing you might find is that what worked well in high school doesn't necessarily carry over into undergraduate studies in university. Lots of students who excel in STEM studies at the high school level can do so through raw talent or innate ability and as a result they don't always develop strong study skills. So don't be afraid to shake things up if you're not happy with the results you're getting.

Try to make friends with others who have common goals. This will help you to identify pretty quickly what approaches are successful and which aren't. But as pointed out above, what works for other people may not work for you. Some people can sit for hours on end. Others need frequent breaks or they don't absorb the material as frequently. And when it comes to STEM subjects, much of the studying comes by working through problem sets, which doesn't always jive well with rigid timing schedules.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and vela
I find the concept of studying for a "certain amount of time" often leads to very poor time management. Better to require (of oneself) aquisition of a certain amount of knowlege. This is far superior to "well I've studied for the required two hours,.....time for beer"

Likes ChiralSuperfields, symbolipoint, vela and 4 others
Somehow the advice of "don't be afraid to take a few minutes break every now and again" as morphed into some sort of rigid rule.

• Love
Likes ChiralSuperfields, vela and Bystander
To the OP:

From my own experience, I've found that instead of focusing on studying for a fixed amount of time, and then taking breaks at a fixed amount of time (e.g. studying for 30 minutes, then take a 15 minute break), I try to take the approach of "how much time in the day can I meaningfully use to lead a healthy life (exercise, sleep, bathe, eat properly, cook, do daily chores, etc.), and how much time do I have left over to study?"

Once I have determined how much time I have left to study, then I devote that entire time to study and see how much I learn the material I'm studying. Some material takes less time for me to learn than others. But I devote my full attention during that time. That could be 30 minutes, it could be several hours, but I devote fully to it.

Also, if I find myself struggling to understand the material, or stumped on specific subjects, then I might take a few minutes break (perhaps step out, do something else) as a means of separating myself from the material. This would give me both the opportunity to refresh my mind, and separate myself from the material momentarily to give me the needed "space" away to not become too stressed. Then I go right back in and study the material.

Keep in mind, though, that my approach may not work for you or for others. You have to try and see what approach to studying works best for you in terms of learning the material.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields

1. What is the best way to balance studying for both physics and math as a major?

The best way to balance studying for both physics and math is to create a schedule that allows for equal time and focus on both subjects. This can be achieved by dividing your study time into blocks for each subject, and alternating between them throughout the day. It is also important to prioritize your studying based on upcoming tests or assignments.

2. How many hours per day should I dedicate to studying for physics and math?

The number of hours you should dedicate to studying for physics and math will depend on your individual learning style and workload. However, it is generally recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours per day on each subject, with breaks in between to avoid burnout. It is also important to review material regularly and not leave all studying for the last minute.

3. Should I focus on one subject at a time or study both simultaneously?

This will depend on your personal preference and learning style. Some students find it helpful to focus on one subject at a time, while others prefer to study both simultaneously. It is important to experiment and find what works best for you. However, it is important to avoid multitasking and give each subject your full attention when studying.

4. How can I make the most of my study sessions for physics and math?

To make the most of your study sessions, it is important to have a clear and organized study space, free from distractions. It is also helpful to break down material into smaller, manageable chunks and use active studying techniques such as practice problems and teaching the material to someone else. Additionally, taking breaks and staying hydrated can help improve focus and retention.

5. Is it better to study alone or with a group for physics and math?

This will depend on your personal learning style and the material being studied. Some students find it helpful to study alone, while others benefit from group study sessions where they can discuss and work through problems together. It is important to find what works best for you and not be afraid to try different study methods.