Optimisation software for trusses (or frames)

In summary, free software is available to optimise the member cross-sections of trusses or frames. However, none of them consider global buckling constraints. Trusses+ is the only tool that performs some kind of optimisation, but it is dedicated to bridge or roof trusses made of standard girder profiles. There also exists an open-source plug-in for Grasshopper called Stormcloud that is available within the Design Space Exploration tool suite at Food4Rhino.
Vigardo
TL;DR Summary
What software is available (free or not) to optimise trusses or frames?
Dear experts,

What software is available (free or not) to optimise the member cross-sections of trusses or frames?
Which one is your favorite?
Would any of them optimise the topology and geometry?

Ideally, the global buckling of the whole structure as well as the buckling and strength of individual members should be considered. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Abaqus has built-in Tosca environment for optimization. Among its sizing optimization capabilities there is a possibility to optimize the radiuses of circular beam elements. This software is very intuitive and reliable.

Likes Vigardo
Thanks for your recommendation FEAnalyst. I've been checking Tosca brochure, unfortunately it seems more indicated for solid parts rather than for trusses made of simple beams, and its price is prohibitive... >30 k€.

So far, I've found TTO, a free tool intended to iteratively optimise 2D truss structures for size, geometry, and topology without the need of a ground structure. However, this academic tool does not consider buckling constraints... which is mandatory for any real world application.

In a web that compares 5 truss design tools, the only tool that performs some kind of optimisation is Trusses+ (its free), but it seems dedicated to bridge or roof trusses made of standard girder profiles. None of these 5 tools check global buckling.

It seems that Karamba3D plug-in together with Galapagos module in Grasshopper do optimise truss diagonals (see a two-minutes video). However, I'm afraid that the trial license is for 90 days only...

Ideally, I would like some long term solution... free or low-cost, if possible. Can any of you help me? Thanks!

I've been playing around with a partial free solution. The Peregrine plug-in (it's free until July 2020) for Grasshopper performs some kind of topology optimisation for lattice structures. It is based on linear programming and is quite fast, at least for 2D trusses. It lacks global buckling checks but performs some final Euler buckling of individual members and increases mass accordingly in the final stage. Thus buckling effects are not considered during optimisation. In any case, currently available Peregrine version seems to be just a technology demonstrator, so improvements may be included in the near future.

The same developers have LimitState:FORM, another software that seems to be what I'm looking for (something more intended for engineering than for architecture), it's too expensive (built on ANSYS SpaceClaim).

There also exists an open-source plug-in for Grasshopper called Stormcloud (based on evolutionary algorithm - check paper or demo video) that is available within the Design Space Exploration tool suite at Food4Rhino here. They also have structureFIT, an on-line optimisation tool for planar trusses.

I've found also some ancient code named Framework, with tons of pdf info.

At this moment the Karamba3D plug-in, Galapagos and Grasshopper seems the best option. Karamba has Educational licenses for 30 € and works with trusses and buckling.

Any other alternative?

1. What is optimisation software for trusses (or frames)?

Optimisation software for trusses (or frames) is a type of computer program that uses mathematical algorithms to find the most efficient and cost-effective design for a truss or frame structure. It takes into account various factors such as material properties, load requirements, and design constraints to produce an optimal solution.

2. How does optimisation software for trusses (or frames) work?

Optimisation software for trusses (or frames) works by using mathematical models and algorithms to analyze different design options and determine the best solution. It takes into account various parameters such as member sizes, connection types, and load distribution to find the most efficient design that meets all design requirements.

3. What are the benefits of using optimisation software for trusses (or frames)?

There are several benefits to using optimisation software for trusses (or frames), including: reducing material and construction costs, improving structural efficiency, increasing design accuracy, and saving time in the design process. It also allows for the exploration of a wide range of design options and can help identify potential design flaws or weaknesses.

4. Can optimisation software for trusses (or frames) be used for all types of structures?

While optimisation software for trusses (or frames) is primarily designed for truss and frame structures, it can also be used for other types of structures such as bridges, towers, and buildings. However, the software may need to be adapted or customized for specific types of structures to ensure accurate results.

5. How accurate are the results from optimisation software for trusses (or frames)?

The accuracy of the results from optimisation software for trusses (or frames) depends on the input data and the complexity of the structure being analyzed. Generally, the results are highly accurate and can be verified through physical testing or comparison with hand calculations. However, it is important to review and verify the results to ensure they meet all design requirements and constraints.