Optimization of a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum area of a decorative window with a rectangular base and a semicircular top. The total perimeter is given as 16+pi and the correct answer is A: 25.653. To solve, it is necessary to eliminate some unknowns by assuming a ratio of width to height for the rectangle. This allows the perimeter to be expressed as a function of x, which can be substituted into the area formula. The incorrect formulas used in the attempt at a solution are discussed and a labelled diagram is suggested to help identify the error.
Differentiate

Homework Statement

A decorative window has the form of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle whose diameter is equal to the top of the rectangle. If the TOTAL perimeter of the window 16+pi, then what is the maximum area?

A. 25.653
B. 32.148
C. 15.923
D. 38.047
E. 30.018

Correct answer is A: 25.653, but explain step by step please.

2. The attempt at a solution

I completely started off on the wrong foot here.
What I did was made the radius = x/2 where x is the total width/diameter of the rectangle/circle. Then I made the equations:

P=2∏(x/2)+2x+2y=16+pi
A=∏(x/2)^2+xy=z

I seem to not be getting the answer after I plug everything in, so I know I am starting off wrong.
Please explain by a step-step process.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eliminate some of your unknowns by assuming that the rectangle has a certain ratio of width to height, so that x = r*y. Then the perimeter can be expressed as a function of x, which can be substituted into the area formula.

Differentiate said:

Homework Statement

A decorative window has the form of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle whose diameter is equal to the top of the rectangle. If the TOTAL perimeter of the window 16+pi, then what is the maximum area?

A. 25.653
B. 32.148
C. 15.923
D. 38.047
E. 30.018

Correct answer is A: 25.653, but explain step by step please.

2. The attempt at a solution

I completely started off on the wrong foot here.
What I did was made the radius = x/2 where x is the total width/diameter of the rectangle/circle. Then I made the equations:

P=2∏(x/2)+2x+2y=16+pi
A=∏(x/2)^2+xy=z

I seem to not be getting the answer after I plug everything in, so I know I am starting off wrong.
Please explain by a step-step process.
Thanks in advance.

Your formulas for P and A are wrong. Draw a carefully-labelled diagram, showing x, y, x/2, etc., and then see where your error lies.

Related to Optimization of a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle

1. What is the purpose of optimizing a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle?

The purpose of optimizing a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle is to find the most efficient and effective design for the window in terms of maximizing natural light, minimizing heat loss, and providing structural stability.

2. How is the optimization process for a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle carried out?

The optimization process for a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle involves using mathematical and computational methods to analyze and compare different design options. This includes considering factors such as the size and shape of the window, materials used, and placement within the building.

3. What are the key factors to consider when optimizing a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle?

The key factors to consider when optimizing a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle include the desired amount of natural light, insulation properties, structural integrity, and aesthetic appeal. Other factors may also be important depending on the specific project, such as cost and energy efficiency.

4. What are some common techniques used in optimizing a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle?

Some common techniques used in optimizing a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle include computer simulations, mathematical modeling, and experimental testing. These methods allow for the evaluation of different design options and the identification of the most optimal solution.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to optimizing a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle?

Yes, there are several limitations and challenges to optimizing a rectangular window surmounted on a semicircle. These may include budget constraints, technical limitations, and conflicting design priorities. Additionally, the optimization process may require multiple iterations and adjustments in order to find the best solution.