Optimizing the area of a rectangle inside a racetrack

In summary: That's how we learn. :cool:In summary, the goal of this problem is to maximize the area of a rectangular field inside of a mile long racetrack. Through calculations using the circumference of a circle and perimeter formulas, an incorrect solution was obtained. However, after reconsidering the problem and using the perimeter formula of P=2πr+2h, a correct solution was found by plugging the h value into the area of the rectangle formula and solving for r. The final solution for the optimal area of the field is approximately 975,917 ft^2.
dlp248

Homework Statement

Maximize the area (in feet) of the rectangular field inside of a mile long racetrack.

Homework Equations

Circumference of a circle = 2πr
P= 2x + 2y

The Attempt at a Solution

Area of the semicircles = πr^2
Area of the rectangle = 2rh

A(r) = πr^2 +2rh
P= 2πr + 2h + 4r

5280ft = 2πr + 2h + 4r

h= 2640 - πr - 2r

A(r) = πr^2 + 2r(2640 - πr - 2r)
A(r) = πr^2 + 5280r - 2πr^2 - 4r^2
A(r) = 5280r - πr^2 - 4r^2

A'(r) = 5280 - 2πr -8r
0 = 5280 - 2πr -8r
2πr + 8r = 5280
r(2π + 8) = 5280

r = 5280/(2π + 8) ft
r ≈ 369.67 ft

A"(r) = -2π - 8
A"(r) < 0
r is a maximum

h = 2640 - (5280/(2π + 8))π - 2(5280/(2π + 8))
h = 10560/(2π + 8) ft
h ≈ 739.33 ft

A(r) = πr^2 +2rh
A(r) = π(5280/(2π + 8) ft)^2 + 2((5280/(2π + 8) ft)(10560/(2π + 8) ft))
A(r) ≈ 975,917 ft^2

I believe this answer is incorrect because for the perimeter, I included the two diameters of the semicircles (the width of the imaginary rectangle). So I ended up using part of the given distance to make these sides and my perimeter formula does not represent the actual perimeter of the track. I tried to redo this problem just using:

P= 2πr + 2h

however this formula produces an r value that makes the h value equal zero. Obviously I am missing a small detail and I have no idea what it is!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dlp248 said:

Homework Statement

Maximize the area (in feet) of the rectangular field inside of a mile long racetrack.

Homework Equations

Circumference of a circle = 2πr
P= 2x + 2y

The Attempt at a Solution

Area of the semicircles = πr^2
Area of the rectangle = 2rh

A(r) = πr^2 +2rh
P= 2πr + 2h + 4r

5280ft = 2πr + 2h + 4r

This is one of those problems where a simple sketch can go a long way to clarify what needs to be done to find a solution.

Note: you can also express the circumference of a circle using the diameter, which is also one of the dimensions of the rectangle. It's not clear why you included the area of the semicircles in your calculations, since the OP explicitly specified the area of the rectangular field in side the track is the quantity to be maximized.

So I ended up using part of the given distance to make these sides and my perimeter formula does not represent the actual perimeter of the track. I tried to redo this problem just using:

P= 2πr + 2h

however this formula produces an r value that makes the h value equal zero. Obviously I am missing a small detail and I have no idea what it is!

You went to great pains to show your calculations for an obviously incorrect solution, but you have omitted the calculations which supposedly use the correct formula for the perimeter of the race track. We can't help unless you show your latest work. :sorry:

I am not sure how to add a sketch to this post; It is a rectangle with two semicircle ends. This is the rest of my work:

P= 2πr + 2h

5280 = 2πr + 2h
h = 2640 - πr

A(r) = πr^2 + 2rh

A(r) = πr^2 + 2r(2640 - πr)
A(r) = πr^2 + 5280r - 2πr^2
A(r) = 5280r - πr^2

A'(r) = 5280 - 2πr
0 = 5280 - 2πr
r = 5280/2π
r = 2640/π

h = 2640 - π(2640/π)
h = 0

Now that you mention that I am using the area of the circle in my formula I think I see where I am going wrong. I am definitely over thinking this. I wonder if I should be using these two formulas instead of the others I have been using:

P= 2πr + 2h
A(r) = 2rh

Using
h = 2640 - πr

I just need to plug this h value into the area of the rectangle, differentiate, and solve for r. Let me know if that is on the right track. Thank you!

Here is my attempt at a sketch:

Attachments

• 20150415_181057.jpg
    20150415_181057.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 409
dlp248 said:
I just need to plug this h value into the area of the rectangle, differentiate, and solve for r. Let me know if that is on the right track. Thank you!
Try it and see what you get.

1. How can I determine the maximum area of a rectangle inside a racetrack?

The maximum area of a rectangle inside a racetrack can be determined by finding the dimensions of the rectangle that give the largest possible area. This can be done by using the formula A = l * w, where A is the area, l is the length of the rectangle, and w is the width. By finding the dimensions that maximize this formula, you can determine the maximum area of the rectangle inside the racetrack.

2. Can I use calculus to optimize the area of a rectangle inside a racetrack?

Yes, you can use calculus to optimize the area of a rectangle inside a racetrack. By taking the derivative of the area formula and setting it equal to zero, you can find the critical points where the area is maximized. Then, by checking the second derivative, you can determine if these critical points correspond to a maximum or minimum area. This method is known as the "critical point method" and is commonly used in optimization problems.

3. Are there any real-world applications for optimizing the area of a rectangle inside a racetrack?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for optimizing the area of a rectangle inside a racetrack. For example, this concept is often used in engineering and architecture to design efficient and space-saving structures. It can also be applied in sports, such as designing the layout of a football field or maximizing the seating capacity of a stadium.

4. Is there a specific shape that the rectangle needs to have to maximize the area inside a racetrack?

No, there is no specific shape that the rectangle needs to have in order to maximize the area inside a racetrack. The dimensions of the rectangle will depend on the shape and size of the racetrack, but you can use the same optimization methods regardless of the rectangle's shape. However, it is important to note that a square will always have the maximum area for a given perimeter, so it may be a good starting point for optimization.

5. Can I use a computer program to optimize the area of a rectangle inside a racetrack?

Yes, you can use a computer program to optimize the area of a rectangle inside a racetrack. There are many mathematical software programs that have built-in optimization functions, such as MATLAB or Wolfram Mathematica. These programs can help you quickly and accurately find the maximum area of a rectangle inside a racetrack by performing the necessary calculations and graphing the results.