Optimized Autotransformer Rating - 2kVA to 4kVA?

• Thread starter jaus tail
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rating
In summary, the KVA rating of an auto transformer is 2 * the rating of the single-phase transformer connected to it.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

A single-phase, 2 kVA, 100/200 V transformer is reconnected as an auto-transformer such that its kVA rating is maximum. What is the new rating in kVA?

Homework Equations

Rating is KV times the current.

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2016-12-19_15-12-47.png

For single winding transformer:
O/P voltage is Vab = Vac - Vbc.
Vab is 200 V as this is given in question.
O/P current is 2KVA/200 is 10A.

For auto transformer:
O/P voltage is Vac
Vac is Vab + Vbc is 200 + 100 is 300V.

O/P current is same in both cases that is flowing through the load and it is 10A.
So KVA of auto transformer is 300 * 10 equals 3KVA.

But books goes through other method where Vac is 200V
So Vab is 200 - 100 = 100 V.
KVA auto / KVA single phase = Vac/(Vac - Vbc) = 1/(1-Vbc/Vac) = 1/(1-0.5) = 2.
So KVA auto is 2 * KVA single phase = 2*2 = 4KVA.

Which method to use and why? Why is o/p voltage 200V in case of auto? Shouldn't it be 200 + 100 as I've drawn in picture?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also don't understand your book's method and I am getting an answer which is more than the answer provided by the book.

In the diagram you've posted, is Vab=200V already given or are you assuming it?
Try Vbc=200V i.e. the HV winding is supplied with 200V and HV+LV is the output.

No, I am assuming Vab = 200V. In the question it says it's a 100/200V transformer, so I'm assuming it means there is a 100V input suppy.
Thus for whatever connection, single winding or auto transformer the input volts should be 100V, right?

I'm sorry, the book doesn't give any solution. I had written that answer from the derivation in the book of single winding to auto transformer formula.

If I connect 200 V to HV. Then... Vbc = 200V. Vac = 200 + 100 = 300V.
Now Vab = 100V. And it's a 2kva, so I ab = 2000/100 = 20A.

This Iab is same current through load for auto transformer so KVA of auto = 300 * 20 = 6000. 6 KVA.

But how can I connect 200 V to HV? Shouldn't it be only 100 V to HV, as the single winding transformer is 100/200 V.

jaus tail said:
as the single winding transformer is 100/200 V.
Doesn't that mean HV is at 200V?
jaus tail said:
so KVA of auto = 300 * 20 = 6000. 6 KVA.
Yes, assuming proper winding polarity. If the windings are connected in series-aiding fashion, the autotransformer rating will be 2kVA. So the windings should be connected in series opposition.

cnh1995 said:
Doesn't that mean HV is at 200V?
Oh. I thought it means that I have only 100V supply as input and I can connect it to LV side. Cause if I connect 100V to HV side then i'll get 50V.

Yes, assuming proper winding polarity. If the windings are connected in series-aiding fashion, the autotransformer rating will be 2kVA. So the windings should be connected in series opposition.

We haven't cleared this topic yet. In the diagram that I have drawn, is it series aiding or opposition?

You can connect 200V on the HV side (making it the primary) and get 300V on the autotransformer secondary.
jaus tail said:
We haven't cleared this topic yet. In the diagram that I have drawn, is it series aiding or opposition?
It can't be said because the dot convention is not used in the diagram. But don't think about that for now. I believe the connection is assumed to be in series-opposition fashion if not mentioned.

Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
But how can I connect 200 V to HV? Shouldn't it be only 100 V to HV, as the single winding transformer is 100/200 V.
My reading of this is that the parameters to work with are a supply of 100V, and the thin-wire winding rated to carry 10A.

Though, admittedly, it does not rule out the transformer being powered by 200V, so perhaps that should be examined to see whether it endows the transformer with a higher KVA rating.

Likes jaus tail

1. What is an optimized autotransformer?

An optimized autotransformer is a type of transformer that is designed to provide voltage regulation and step-up/step-down capabilities. It is often used in electronic devices and power systems to ensure efficient and stable operation.

2. What is the rating of an optimized autotransformer?

The rating of an optimized autotransformer refers to its power handling capacity. In this case, the range is from 2kVA to 4kVA, which means it can handle a maximum load of 4 kilovolt-amperes and a minimum load of 2 kilovolt-amperes.

3. How does the rating affect the performance of an optimized autotransformer?

The rating of an optimized autotransformer directly affects its performance. A higher rating means the transformer can handle a larger load, which results in better voltage regulation and stability. On the other hand, a lower rating may lead to overloading and potential damage to the transformer.

4. What are the benefits of using an optimized autotransformer with a higher rating?

Using an optimized autotransformer with a higher rating can provide more stable and efficient voltage regulation, as well as the ability to handle larger loads. This can result in improved performance and protection for electronic devices and power systems.

5. How do I determine the appropriate rating for an optimized autotransformer?

The appropriate rating for an optimized autotransformer depends on the specific application and load requirements. It is important to carefully consider the maximum load that the transformer will need to handle and choose a rating that is slightly higher to ensure optimal performance and safety.