Optimizing a digital assistant to behave how I want it to?

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Digital
In summary: I don't know how to do that." In summary, digital assistants like Amazon's Alexa are based on AI, but it is not possible to create an AI digital assistant that can be optimized for ourselves. If you spend several years learning AI (an optimistic estimate) and then have a few hundred thousand man hours to devote to programming it, you would be off to a good start.
mech-eng
Hello. I know some companies have digital assistants like Microsoft's Cortana or Apple's Siri. I don't know how they work but I know that they are based on AI. I have never used them, and I don't know about AI (okay, it is one of the most popular topics today). Can those assitants be optimized for ourselves?

Can I find one that will scan my files, and when I ask it a question, it will answer from my files? This would be much easier than scannin files, and be an extremely useful thing for me.

If I can learn AI, can I do one for myself?

Even better and more advanced situation would be getting it to use apps. For example, ordering it to draw a graph: "Graph the f(x)=x^2", or "open Autocad and draw the drawing file in the CAD1 folder ." or, "do a full antivirus scan" and then it will do it.

Or can it make me a quiz, asking a question and after my answer can it notify me as "No, you are wrong, what you say violates the second law of thermodynamics, and your calculation is wrong, you didn't take into account heat transfer from boundaries and the amount of heat generated inside the system. Correct way is ... "

Are these possible things?

Computer science news on Phys.org
No.

Likes phinds
It is not nearly possible now. In a few decades, there is no telling how far it can go. On the other hand, we have suffered from 50 years of overhyped AI. Your guess is as good as anyone's.

mech-eng said:
If I can learn AI, can I do one for myself?
If you spent several years learning AI (an optimistic estimate) and then have a few hundred thousand man hours to devote to programming it, you would be off to a good start. I don't mean you would likely FINISH it in that amount of time but you would be off to a good start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Alexa
As of November 2018, Amazon had more than 10,000 employees working on Alexa and related products.

• Informative
Likes mech-eng
@phinds :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Alexa
As of November 2018, Amazon had more than 10,000 employees working on Alexa and related products.
And the stupidity of Alexa can be astounding. Often, when I add something to my Alexa shopping list, it tells me "I added it to your list. You can find it in your Alexa apt."
Two questions:
1) Why does Alexa think I put it on the list if I didn't know that I could read it?
2) After telling me that about 10,000 times, does Alexa think I still don't know it?

• Informative
Likes mech-eng
FactChecker said:
And the stupidity of Alexa can be astounding.
Also, you often have to articulate rather carefully or it will ignore you or say something like "I don't get that"

1. How can I customize my digital assistant's responses?

There are a few ways to customize your digital assistant's responses. First, you can adjust the settings in the app or program that controls your assistant to select preferred responses. Second, many assistants have a "training" feature that allows you to teach it how to respond to specific prompts or phrases. Lastly, regularly using your assistant and providing feedback can help it learn your preferences over time.

2. Can I change my digital assistant's name?

Yes, in most cases you can change your digital assistant's name. Many assistants allow you to select a name from a list of pre-set options or even create your own custom name. Keep in mind that changing the name may also change the way you interact with your assistant, as it may respond differently to different names.

3. How do I teach my digital assistant to understand my accent or speech patterns?

If your digital assistant is having trouble understanding your accent or speech patterns, there are a few things you can do. First, try speaking clearly and enunciating words more clearly. You can also try training your assistant with specific phrases or prompts that you commonly use. Additionally, some assistants have the option to select different language or accent preferences to better match your speech patterns.

4. Can I limit the amount of data my digital assistant collects about me?

Yes, you can typically limit the amount of data your digital assistant collects about you. Many assistants have privacy settings that allow you to control what information is collected and stored. You can also review and delete your data regularly to ensure your privacy is protected.

5. How do I ensure my digital assistant is behaving ethically and not promoting bias?

As a scientist, it is important to consider the ethical implications of technology, including digital assistants. To ensure your digital assistant is behaving ethically and not promoting bias, regularly review the data it collects and how it responds to different prompts. You can also provide feedback to the developers if you notice any concerning patterns or biases in your assistant's behavior.