Optimizing Color Schemes in Kile: Tips for a More User-Friendly Experience

• MHB
  • Thread starter caffeinemachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color
In summary, the color scheme is black background, aqua text, and bright green for math operators, red for numbers, gray for comments.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
I have recently started using Kile on Ubuntu and I experimented witht the color settings of kile for quite a long time to get a good sceme but I still am not satisfied. Can someone here suggest me a good color scheme?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tend to go for black background, aqua regular text, and then maybe bright green for math operators, red for numbers, gray for comments. I don't know what other categories you have.

Is there a reason you are using Kile as opposed to Emacs or Vim? Do you prefer GUIs or would you rather work from the terminal?

I like working from the terminal. I have it setup as a drop down by hitting F12, with a slightly see through black background.

The drop down feature use with the terminal is the best thing ever over any GUI.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/250/bt3v.png

dwsmith said:
Is there a reason you are using Kile as opposed to Emacs or Vim? Do you prefer GUIs or would you rather work from the terminal?

I like working from the terminal. I have it setup as a drop down by hitting F12, with a slightly see through black background.

The drop down feature use with the terminal is the best thing ever over any GUI.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/250/bt3v.png
Actually I am new to linux and Kile seemed like a massive improvement over TeXWorks which I was using on Windows. So I was using Kile.

caffeinemachine said:
Actually I am new to linux and Kile seemed like a massive improvement over TeXWorks which I was using on Windows. So I was using Kile.

I used Kile for a day so I can't remember much about it. All I know was after switching to Vim first, I didn't want to use a GUI anymore, but then I tried Emacs and I was satisfied.

I have actually learned to prefer TeXWorks, even on Linux. The reason is that, since I'm a teacher, I am tending to write a lot of very small $\LaTeX$ files. And the ability of TeXWorks automatically to window both the source file and the pdf, so that I'm seeing them both simultaneously, is a real time-saver. It also will close the pdf automatically whenever I close the tex file. Sure, I'd love to have the key-bindings of terminal Vim, which is what I prefer for most text editing. But TeXWorks saves me so much time! If I worked hard enough, I might be able to get Vim to do the windowing, but it would take a lot of effort.

Ackbach said:
I have actually learned to prefer TeXWorks, even on Linux. The reason is that, since I'm a teacher, I am tending to write a lot of very small $\LaTeX$ files. And the ability of TeXWorks automatically to window both the source file and the pdf, so that I'm seeing them both simultaneously, is a real time-saver. It also will close the pdf automatically whenever I close the tex file. Sure, I'd love to have the key-bindings of terminal Vim, which is what I prefer for most text editing. But TeXWorks saves me so much time! If I worked hard enough, I might be able to get Vim to do the windowing, but it would take a lot of effort.
Yeah TeXWorks nice for small documents. But it lacks many features which makes it hard to create large documents in it. I used it for about a year. Still use it from time to time.

This is why I like the see through drop down window. I can see my pdf and update with a simple
Code:
C-c C-c return

It doesn't update on its own but that isn't a big deal since control c twice and enter takes maybe a second to do.

dwsmith, what do you mean by the drop down feature?

Concerning a color scheme, I usually accept the default if an application follows modern conventions (like the while background), which Kile presumably does. The screenshot in Wikipedia doesn't look too bad. Beyond this, there is a program Agave that allows finding "several colors that go well together".

Evgeny.Makarov said:
dwsmith, what do you mean by the drop down feature?

Concerning a color scheme, I usually accept the default if an application follows modern conventions (like the while background), which Kile presumably does. The screenshot in Wikipedia doesn't look too bad. Beyond this, there is a program Agave that allows finding "several colors that go well together".

Look at post 3. You will see that my window comes half way down. I have it set up to drop down from the top. This is a non color scheme option I was speaking of which is a handy feature. All I have to do is hit F12 to autohide it or drop it down and F11 makes it full screen if that is what I desire.

Related to Optimizing Color Schemes in Kile: Tips for a More User-Friendly Experience

1. What makes a color scheme good for Kile?

A good color scheme for Kile should have a balance of contrast and readability, with colors that are easy on the eyes and don't strain the reader's vision. It should also be aesthetically pleasing and help to organize and differentiate different elements on the screen.

2. Can I customize the color scheme in Kile?

Yes, Kile allows for customization of the color scheme. You can choose from a variety of pre-set color schemes or create your own by selecting specific colors for different elements such as text, background, and highlighting.

3. Are there any recommended color schemes for Kile?

There are many recommended color schemes for Kile available online. Some popular choices include Solarized, Monokai, and Zenburn. It is recommended to try out different color schemes and choose the one that works best for you.

4. How can I change the color scheme in Kile?

To change the color scheme in Kile, go to Settings > Configure Kile > Editor > Fonts & Colors. From there, you can select the color scheme you want to use or create your own custom scheme.

5. Can I save and share my custom color schemes in Kile?

Yes, you can save your custom color scheme in Kile and share it with others. To do so, go to Settings > Configure Kile > Editor > Fonts & Colors, select your custom scheme, and click on "Export" to save it. You can then share the exported file with others to use in their Kile editor.